Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA LRC images

Date: 04/18/19 13:26
VIA LRC images
Author: back_track_bob

After viewing moonliters excellent post re VIA LRC equipment I went thru my collection to post a few... The first and last image are mine, the rest are by my good firend BP Curry. Note: I dot not have dates..

Image 1, BP Curry and I were in Montreal during the early days of the LRC constructuin. Like the paint job of the LRC in the distance better than the one chosen.

Image 2 & 3. Demonstrator set in Ottawa.

theres more...

Date: 04/18/19 13:28
Re: VIA LRC images
Author: back_track_bob

Image 4. Toronto bound at Barrhaven (burb of Ottawa).

Image 5. USA version at Brockville ON.

Image 6. The end at CDAC Montreal..
Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/19 13:29 by back_track_bob.

Date: 04/18/19 14:16
Author: cn1063

One wonders how things might have happened had BBD continued to develop the LRC technology. Is it possible that Brightline, and the new Via order might be BBD products, instead of BBD being upset with losing the Via contract, but not having a product off the shelf they can provide

Date: 04/18/19 14:21
Author: refarkas

Five images brought a smile while the sixth brough reality into the picture. Thank you for all the images even the heartbreaking number six.
Bob

Date: 04/18/19 16:29
Author: eminence_grise

It seemed that Via gave up on the LRC locomotives after only a few years, replacing them with modified F40PH’s and later GE P series.

I’ve been told one of the issues was the unreliability of the Alco designed 251 prime movers as one of the main reasons for their retirement. Were they ever considered as a re-engining candidate?. Somewhere I saw a GMD drawing of a low profile passenger locomotive intended as an LRC locomotive replacement, but that was as far as that ever went.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/19 16:57 by eminence_grise.

Date: 04/18/19 18:48
Author: cn6218

Thanks Bob (and Gerry).  I don't think I've ever seen so many pictures of the demonstrator and Amtrak LRC sets together in one place before.

I seem to remember seeing an LRC in Amtrak paint next to Autoroute 20 at CAD when driving through Montreal in the '90s.  There is no mention of that in the TSGs I have, but my collection only goes back to 1995.  Is it possible the Amtrak units wound up there, or was I imagining things?

I suspect the LRCs were more expensive to maintain and less versatile than the F40s, and that's why they were sidelined when VIA was cut in half in January 1990.  VIA did keep a handful operational for the Metropolis because they were the only power than could run 100 mph and maintain the 3:59 schedule between Toronto and Montreal.  Once the P42s arrived in 2001, they weren't even needed for that.

Here are 15 of the VIA units, making their last trip at Moncton, NB on April 28, 2004.  They were parted out at IRSI over the next year or so.

GTD

Date: 04/19/19 20:18
Author: feclark

What a fabulous set of posts, following on the recent one, with contributions from several. I loved the prototype, with its very "sharky" prow, and smooth pilot with those awesome stripes. Although I am sort of familiar with Brockville, I didn't explore the back tracks and so on, so I can't quite place the shot of the Amtrak set. Is the VIA F on the back track behind the station, and is the LRC on some CP "industrial" trackage/spurs?
Fred

Date: 04/20/19 09:04
Author: moonliter

Thanks Bob and cn6218 GTD for you great photos and additional information.

Fred I drew up a quick map of Brockville for you, hope it will be of some help.  I am guessing the photographer may be on a box car that was spotted at the Clarke terminal in order to gain some elevation. There were always box cars parked at the old freight sheds in the seventies and early eighties.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 04/20/19 20:23
Author: feclark

Gerry,
That is brilliant, and thanks so much! That really adds to things.
Fred

moonliter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Bob and cn6218 GTD for you great photos and
> additional information.
>
> Fred I drew up a quick map of Brockville for you,
> hope it will be of some help.  I am guessing the
> photographer may be on a box car that was spotted
> at the Clarke terminal in order to gain some
> elevation. There were always box cars parked at
> the old freight sheds in the seventies and early
> eighties.
>
> Gerry Gaugl
> Ottawa ON
>
>
>  

Date: 04/21/19 05:23
Author: ghCBNS

Thanks Gerry!

The last time I was in Brockville I walked the old alignment to the wye and onto the waterfront. It's now part of the Brock Trail and can easily be seen on this Google Maps link....cutting thru the trees in the centre of the aerial photo:

https://goo.gl/maps/QFyPhHUSokfXNP7NA

Brock Trail Map:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5581e67fe4b07273dbcbb212/t/5b6afd668a922df70e4cec50/1533738345006/BrockTrail201806.jpg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.091 seconds