Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Canadian Railroads > Joe Smuin RIP

Date: 04/29/19 15:42
Joe Smuin RIP
Author: eminence_grise

After a brief battle with cancer, Joe Smuin passed away today.

Joe was a retired railway carman whose career started in his hometown of Penticton BC on the Kettle Valley Division of the CPR.

Later, he transferred to Kamloops on the main line and finally to BC Rail in North Vancouver.

Joe was from a large family which included several other career railroaders.  He was one of the dwindling number of former Kettle Valley Division railroaders. Although the railway continued to operate until 1989, many of the staff were older and have passed on through the natural progression of time.

He was a noted historian of the KV, writing a detailed Milepost guide in the 1990's which went to two or three printings.

Since that time, he often made presentations to historical and railfan organization. 

Joe recently returned to the Okanagan valley of BC . Joe is survived by his wife Sonia, daughter Robyn and several grandchildren.

Date: 04/29/19 17:26
Re: Joe Smuin RIP
Author: moonliter

May Joe RIP.  

Very nice man to deal with over the internet, always willing to answer my questions that I sent him.  I always hoped to have a chance to meet him but sadly that did not come to pass.  I will think of him every time I see the the black spiral ringed book sitting on the shelf in my den.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 04/30/19 08:41
Re: Joe Smuin RIP
Author: 4489

I used to enjoy Joe's postings on other websites.  He was a man who knew his stuff.

RIP Joe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0283 seconds