Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Canadian Railroads > Need names

Date: 05/16/19 00:55
Need names
Author: edsaalig

I was on the Canadian #2 not too long ago and missed the names of the mountain and the lake.  Location was before Jasper I think.  Can you help me?

Date: 05/16/19 01:05
Re: Need names
Author: railsmith

edsaalig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was on the Canadian #2 not too long ago and
> missed the names of the mountain and the lake.
>  Location was before Jasper I think.  Can you
> help me?

Moose Lake

Date: 05/16/19 03:37
Author: andersonb109

Mount Fitzwilliam. 

Date: 05/16/19 23:16
Author: edsaalig

Thanks for your help!

Date: 05/17/19 09:41
Author: eminence_grise

That brown stripe on Mount Fitzwilliam is geologically significant because it contains fossils and is the only place in the Rockies where that formation is visible.

Before the double tracking of the 1980's, there was a siding close to where you took the photo called Fitzwilliam.

Along Moose Lake, the Canadian Northern Railway and the Grand Trunk Pacific shared a common roadbed.  There was a station called Rainbow beside the lake.

During World War 1, the Canadian Northern went bankrupt. Newspapers of the day talked of the folly of two paralell lines sharing the same roadbed, and the Canadian Government Railway (the CNor trustee) removed much of the near paralell CNor tracks from Edmonton to Red Pass.

At Rainbow, there were two stations , one CNor , the other GTP facing each other across the tracks.

There was a widely circulated photograph of Canadian Army soldiers removing the CNor tracks along Moose Lake for the war effort.

The abandoned CNor route west of Jasper became a highway, and even today, Highway 16 is built on portions of the railway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/19 09:43 by eminence_grise.

Date: 05/17/19 14:20
Author: KickingHorse

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>... and the Canadian Government Railway (the
> CNor trustee) removed much of the near paralell
> CNor tracks from Edmonton to Red Pass.
>

Actually some of the CNoR mainline still exists west of Edmonton - the Sangudo sub from where it diverts from the (GTP) mainline at Bissell through St Albert to Onoway. From there it continued west and from Alberta Beach to Hwy 757 north of the Magnolia Bridge, Sec Hwy 633 was built over the old roadbed. The gravel road west of Hwy 757 to near Entwhistle was also built on the old roadbed. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/19 14:44 by KickingHorse.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds