Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Canadian Railroads > need name of river

Date: 05/16/19 23:15
need name of river
Author: edsaalig

On a recent trip on VIA Canadian #2 we crossed a river that was east of Jaspr.  I did not get the name.  Can anyone help me.  Thanks.just 

Date: 05/17/19 04:19
Re: need name of river
Author: Locotrol2

Looks like the Athabasca.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/17/19 08:30
Author: tsokolan

I'd say the Athabasca River between Entrance and Swan Landing (just west of Hinton AB)

-Trevor

Date: 05/17/19 10:20
Author: Parkcar

Everyone is correct....location is the north side of the track, off the Athabasca River bridge, looking NE (downstream).  About MP 197 of the Edson Sub.  Here are a couple pics taken in 2012 of a WB on the same bridge.
Cheers
Park

Date: 05/17/19 10:51
Author: eminence_grise

A little bit of history.  Following the creation of the Canadian National, the Grand Trunk Pacific route from Edmonton was chosen to be the CN route.

However, west of Hinton, the former Canadian Northern was chosen, and the Athabaska Bridge and several mles of new track were built to connect the former GTP and CNor routes.

However, for a number of years, the GTP line continued a few miles west to a coal mine.

A few miles east of Jasper, near Henry House, the present day CN regains the GTP route.

The image shows the former GTP station at Hinton AB, now relocated and extensively modified. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds