Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Canadian Railroads > A Matched Set on NB Southern

Date: 05/17/19 15:22
A Matched Set on NB Southern
Author: cn6218

On the way to Maine two weeks ago, we set aside some time to go after New Brunswick Southern's westbound train out of Saint John, NB.  907 carries the same number as its CP Rail predecessor and usually leaves Saint John late in the morning, Monday to Saturday.  For some reason on May 6th, the crew didn't get their clearance until noon EDT (Like CP Rail, NBSR runs on Eastern Time) from the Railterm dispatcher.  We had already been waiting at Clarendon for about an hour, and it took another hour for the train to knock off the 25 miles or so to our location, but the late departure meant that we had generally favourable sun angles all the way to McAdam (and into Maine).

We had heard 8144, one of NBSR's second hand SD40-2s, listed as the leader for the clearance, but didn't find out until they actually arrived at our location that all three were in the bright green paint.  The trailing SD40-2s were 6200 and 6318.

With a track speed of 25 mph, it's a fairly easy chase along NB Rt. 101 to Fredericton Jct. (mile 44.4), where we got another set at the west mileboard 50 minutes later.

The final shot in Canada was in front of the McAdam station (mile 84.4, now a museum) at 15:40.  The crew is setting off about a dozen cars for the St. Stephen job.  The American crew is rested and will soon take the remainder of the train across the border as Eastern Maine Rwy. train 907.

GTD

Date: 05/17/19 17:03
Re: A Matched Set on NB Southern
Author: refarkas

First-class images. My favorite is number three with the station.
Bob

Date: 05/17/19 23:00
Author: feclark

Lovely shots, and I agree about photo #3. That little hint of lake on the right side of the photo just sets it off perfectly.
Fred

Date: 05/19/19 18:13
Author: tomcough

My son and I were on vacation in NB this past week.  We drove from Fredericton Jct to McAdam, following the line much of the way, some on dirt road.   Beautiful country but the railroad was quiet.   The McAdam station is impressive.   

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA

Date: 05/20/19 10:43
Author: cn6218

tomcough Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>    Beautiful country but the railroad was
> quiet.   

The eastbound generally runs after dark, and theremay be nothing running some days (Sundays?).  Only rarely are there more than two movements in a 24 hour period.  This was one of them:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4724405

Somewhat appropriately, that dirt road (the Tracy Road) is NB Rt. 645, quite suitable for the parallel rail line that features SD40s and GP38s (when they do run a train).

GTD

Date: 05/20/19 15:31
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 05/26/19 13:55
Author: SD45X

Sweet!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds