Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Cranbrook Subdivision traffic

Date: 05/20/19 08:45
CP Cranbrook Subdivision traffic
Author: inCHI

Next week I'm going to spend Sunday night at lodging in Wardner, BC, at a location that possibly has a view across the Kootenay River of the CP Cranbrook Sub. Oddly I just realized that'll be my first visit to Canada since I was a kid, when my Dad took me to Bayview Junction. In this case, I have Sunday afternoon-Monday afternoon available, and I have hopes of seeing a CP train or two over Crowsnest Pass. I'm wondering if anyone has any general guidance. For example, is there a time of day when a train is more likely, or any pattern to operations? Any pitfalls to avoid? Thanks for any assistance.

Date: 05/20/19 09:14
Re: CP Cranbrook Subdivision traffic
Author: sarailfan

I'm not aware of any consistent pattern for trains along the Cranbrook Sub, it tends to be hit and miss in my experience. Be aware that much of the subdivision is not easy to see from the highway, especially from Wardner to Jaffray, then again from Elko to Fernie. A radio is critical; 161.475 is the road channel while clearances are issued on 161.535

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 05/20/19 12:05
Author: inCHI

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Date: 05/22/19 07:48
Author: eminence_grise

In 1971, Lake Koocanusa (Kootenay-Canada-USA) was formed behind the Libby Dam in Montana. Notably, this caused a major line change on the BN main line, but it also resulted in changes to the CP Cranbrook Subdivision.

The Cranbrook to Wardner portion south of the river was abandoned in favour of a new line north of the river from Colvalli to Fort Steele, with the junction for the Windermere Subdivision moved to Fort Steele.

There is a back road from Wardner to Fort Steele which follows the railway .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/19 11:37 by eminence_grise.

Date: 05/22/19 14:48
Author: sarailfan

The Wardner-Fort Steele road is narrow, winding, rough, and provides surprisingly few good views of the tracks considering its proximity. I've driven the full length of it with both my pickup and a super B (delivering hay) and don't recommend it as a chasing route. For in and out surgical strikes it works, but it is very tough to keep up with trains along it.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 05/23/19 07:02
Author: moonliter

sarailfan Wrote:
> I've driven
> the full length of it with both my pickup and a
> super B (delivering hay) and don't recommend it as
> a chasing route. 

What is the difference between a average b and super b?

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 05/23/19 10:30
Author: eminence_grise

moonliter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sarailfan Wrote:
> > I've driven
> > the full length of it with both my pickup and a
> > super B (delivering hay) and don't recommend it
> as
> > a chasing route. 
>
> What is the difference between a average b and
> super b?
>
> Gerry Gaugl
> Ottawa ON

You had to ask!  My daughter spent two months at school last year learning how to drive a "Super B". Unlike triple trailers and extra length doubles (turnpikes) which are restricted to multi lane highways, B's and Super B's visit farms, sawmills and pulp mills and have to back into tight spaces

Trucker jargon ; a "B" train is a tractor hauling two trailers, the first one connected to the tractor by the "5th wheel" (semi articulated connection)
over the drive wheels. On a "B" train, the first trailer and the second trailer share a common two axle bogie supporting the rear of the first trailer and the front of the second trailer. On a "Super B", the common bogie between the two trailers has three axles.

A trains and B trains and various other trailer combinations are ways to distribute axle loads, and the regulations regarding these vary from Province to Province and State to State in the US

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds