Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW buildings in Montreal

Date: 05/30/19 19:27
MLW buildings in Montreal
Author: fredstoltz

Are the MLW buildings in Montreal, P.Q. still standing, and if so what are they being used for?  Thanks in advance, Fred

Date: 05/31/19 06:31
Re: MLW buildings in Montreal
Author: ghCBNS

fredstoltz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are the MLW buildings in Montreal, P.Q. still
> standing, and if so what are they being used for?
>  Thanks in advance, Fred

I 'think' this was the site. It was along rue Dickson:

https://goo.gl/maps/hg7zE7BabsjULkkd7

Date: 05/31/19 08:24
Re: MLW buildings in Montreal
Author: eminence_grise

The actual MLW shop was along Notre Dame and Rougemont.  There was a track beside Rougemont where locomotives were tested. The MLW building was where the empty lot now is at the corner of Rougemont and Notre Dame.  General Electric had a factory where they made large industrial appliances like heat exchangers, that is the large building along Rue Dickson, no longer a GE facility. The MLW property went all the way to the tracks and Ave. Souligny.

The red brick building off Dickson intruiges me, was it MLW's administration building?. I went on a tour of MLW as part of a group in the 1970's, including a meet and greet but was too intent on the locomotives to remember where the office was.

Some of the other big vacant lots around the MLW plant were railway related too, Canada Steel Wheel made railway wheels, and Canadian Vickers built the CP Gallery commuters cars (Budd was supposed to build them, but there was a trade snit at the time between Trudeau the first and the US President)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/19 09:18 by eminence_grise.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds