Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Canadian Railroads > New CP Dome

Date: 06/08/19 14:14
New CP Dome
Author: CPR_4000

Haven't seen anything about this on TO. CP is rebuilding former Southern Pacific 3/4 dome car 3605; it will be named Selkirk, according to Canadian Railway Observations. Photo on their FB page.

Date: 06/08/19 15:42
Re: New CP Dome
Author: jp1822

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't seen anything about this on TO. CP is
> rebuilding former Southern Pacific 3/4 dome car
> 3605; it will be named Selkirk, according to
> Canadian Railway Observations. Photo on their FB
> page.

Anyone know how CP will be using this dome car? For example. I don't think they will be adding it to the more historic trainset taht CP has. I believe that CP also has sort of a more modern business train - anyone know its consist per say? CP was particularly stripped of most of its passenger equipment to give to VIA Rail Canada. Same can be said for CN, but CN does have a few business cars in its fleet (in the olive green and black livery).                                                               

Date: 06/08/19 16:29
Author: dan

came from the royal gorge, (never used)  was a basket case   , i almost bought it   from Bill wallace (he would finance)                  i think they will use it as lounge with the HW's . as you won't be able to see over them, can't find the thread about it leaving colorado, on a flat car.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4567341,4567727#msg-4567727

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/19 07:27 by dan.

Date: 06/08/19 17:32
Author: MP403

The car will be part of the business train fleet. CEO Keith Creel spoke about the car during the railway's annual shareholder meeting in May. 

“This car is going to be … the nicest heritage railcar in the world – not Canadian Pacific, not North America – in the world,” he said. 

“A hundred and fifty years from now somebody's going to be riding that car and say, gosh, those guys and gals at CP back then really got this right. Because it’s special,” Creel said.

Date: 06/09/19 18:31
Author: 4489

jp1822 Wrote:
> CPR_4000 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Haven't seen anything about this on TO. CP is
> > rebuilding former Southern Pacific 3/4 dome car
> > 3605; it will be named Selkirk, according to
> > Canadian Railway Observations. Photo on their
> FB
> > page.
>
> Anyone know how CP will be using this dome car?
> For example. I don't think they will be adding it
> to the more historic trainset taht CP has. I
> believe that CP also has sort of a more modern
> business train - anyone know its consist per say?
> CP was particularly stripped of most of its
> passenger equipment to give to VIA Rail Canada.
> Same can be said for CN, but CN does have a few
> business cars in its fleet (in the olive green and
> black livery).                       
>                                  

As far as I know CP's business car fleet has a couple of "newer" cars.  These are run with the "heritage" business cars.

Perhaps you are thinking of the TEC train which is made up of a couple of Stainless Steel BUDD built cars?

Hopefully you have a copy of the Canadian Trackside Guide.
>      

Date: 06/10/19 16:37
Author: ATSF3751

MP403 Wrote:
> The car will be part of the business train fleet.
> CEO Keith Creel spoke about the car during the
> railway's annual shareholder meeting in May. 
>
> “This car is going to be … the nicest heritage
> railcar in the world – not Canadian Pacific, not
> North America – in the world,” he said. cor
>
> “A hundred and fifty years from now somebody's
> going to be riding that car and say, gosh, those
> guys and gals at CP back then really got this
> right. Because it’s special,” Creel said.

Hopefully CP will avoid the trashy look of an 1890's style railcar interior popular some years back. I remember the interior of a privately owned ex-GN diner I rode in the 1980's which was decorated in that style and it actually made me nostalgic for Amtrak's purple paisley decor of the 1970's.  Seriously, the cars was full of colors not normally found in nature.
Bringing back the "goo'm d ole days" is better left in the box along with corny banjo and guitar train songs. IMHO....Keep the interior simple with clean lines like Via did with the Canadian rolling stock. All that said,  I'm fairly positive CP will not be calling me for suggestions. LOL

Date: 06/10/19 19:42
Author: rwullich

The Selkirk has been a multiyear several million dollar project. The car was stripped to the frame and completely rebuilt. It will be utilized on the business train and with the RCP equipment.

There are several other lightweight cars that have been added to the business car fleet as well during the last few years.

Date: 06/10/19 23:38
Author: dan

rwullich Wrote:
The car was stripped to the frame and completely rebuilt

that was needed by 1968!

Date: 06/12/19 16:42
Author: agentatascadero

When it comes to passenger car interiors in general, my vote goes to the Pullman Co as the best.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds