Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Canadian Railroads > Sunday "Peace"

Date: 07/14/19 03:08
Sunday "Peace"
Author: hoggerdoug

A few images from March 1973 of the Peace River bridge on the BC Rail Fort St. John subdivision. The bridge is between mile 715 & 716 just south of Taylor BC. The wooden trestle portion of the bridge was destroyed by fire caused by an act of vandalism and sabotage. Someone released the hand brakes on tank cars at Taylor yard, the cars rolled down grade and derailed on the wooden bridge catching fire. I've forgotten the date of when the fire happened, the railway replaced the wood structure with an earthen fill and fortunately the steel structure over the river was not damaged.

First image is taken near mile 722 looking down at the bridge. Approximately 6 rail miles away.
Next images approaching and on the bridge.

Date: 07/14/19 03:12
Re: Sunday "Peace"

Last image. We had a bunch of old Union Pacific hoppers to be used in ballast service.
These slides are old Kodak Instamtic, starting to fade and are quite dusty and dirty. Sorry about the dust and dirt. I have not found a way to safely clean slides and open to suggestions of how to clean slides and negatives.
thanks for looking.
Doug

Date: 07/14/19 03:20
Author: yarrow

wow. thanks

Date: 07/14/19 08:24
Author: TCnR

Very impressive bridge. I remember seeing a photo of the curved trestle in Trains or similar, just a little while later heard the trestle had burned and was replaced with a fill. Still very impressive structure.

Date: 07/14/19 18:16
Author: stlrailfan

to clean old dusty and dirty slides, get a small air blower similar to what you would use to blow dust off a computer screen. 
                                                             Mark Mautner

Date: 07/15/19 03:26

What can I use to clean off some spots and smudges on the slides ???
Doug

stlrailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> to clean old dusty and dirty slides, get a small
> air blower similar to what you would use to blow
> dust off a computer screen. 
>                                 
>                             Mark
> Mautner

Date: 07/16/19 14:49
Author: CM80-46

What was the power for the train, if you recall?

Date: 07/16/19 15:21

A few images that correspond, would appear that the unit was 583.
Doug
CM80-46 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was the power for the train, if you recall?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds