Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Canadian Railroads > Canora Saskatchewan

Date: 07/16/19 11:53
Canora Saskatchewan
Author: CNStratford

While riding a late VIA 692 south from Churchill (where departure was 7 hours late), we were held up further in Canora Saskatchewan by two huge freight trains - one mixed, the other all tank cars except for a buffer car at each end. Anyone any idea as to the origin destination of these trains?  
In the second photo, you can see crossing gates.  Only other place I've ever seen something like this was Durand MI.  Comments?

Date: 07/16/19 14:36
Re: Canora Saskatchewan
Author: CM80-46

How is the economy doing in Churchill since the railroad was restored?

Date: 07/16/19 16:10
Author: 3rdswitch

Today, the crossing of the CN and KCS in Baton Rouge, LA, is manual gate controlled.
JB

Date: 07/16/19 21:59
Author: jp1822

The Hudson Bay train seems to have gotten a bit of an upgrade - Park Car to bring up the markers (and hopefully some additional double bedrooms and one triple bedroom for sale!), two Chateau cars (only), and a Skyline Dome Car replacing the Diner, which is adequate for this train. Minus the Park Car its makeup would be similiar to the former Chaleur (Train to Gaspe). Pretty sure the Park Car is just seasonal (even though VIA has enough Park Cars to outfit Hudson Bay trains), but not sure when it was added or when it is scheduled to come off. Sometimes a 3rd Chateau car is added in peak season, so hopefully the Park Car bedrooms can help offset!

Date: 07/17/19 05:54
Author: CNStratford

Because it is Beluga season in Churchill, there were lots of tourists.  Restaurants were busy.  One concern we heard was a lack of experienced staff.  When there was no train, experienced workers had left.  New ones had to be recruited and training is proceeding.  Our group of 38 was very welcome at the Eskimo Museum where we added about $1000 to their sales for the day.

Date: 07/17/19 13:56
Author: moonliter

CNStratford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> In the second photo, you can see crossing gates. 
> Only other place I've ever seen something like
> this was Durand MI.  Comments?

Yes, firstly I look forward to hearing about your trip.  Secondly, we saw this type of crossing protection on our January 2004  trip to Ohio.  The crossing was in Uhrichsville where the N-S ex-B&O line crossed the E-W ex-PRR line. I wish now that I had taken a photo but I was saving my Kodachrome for 6325.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/19 14:00 by moonliter.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds