Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA’s Far East

Date: 07/23/19 00:46
VIA’s Far East
Author: ghCBNS

We’re at Truro, Nova Scotia on Saturday, July 20, 2019.....as far east as you can get on VIA’s Ocean. Consist included 5 coaches, 10 sleepers (9 Ren & 1 Chateau) + ‘Tremblant Park’.

Date: 07/23/19 00:47
Re: VIA’s Far East

>

Date: 07/23/19 00:48

Until the train-cuts of January 1990…..VIA could get you even further east.....

Here’s the e/b Ocean arriving at Truro in October 1983 while an VIA RDC ‘Railiner’ is waiting for connecting passenger before heading 350km east to North Sydney NS where a CN Marine Ferry can take you 150km across the Cabot Strait to Port-aux-Basques, Newfoundland.....then it’s another 900 km to St. John’s on a CN ‘Roadcruiser’.

Date: 07/23/19 00:50

Today you can still connect from the Ocean at Truro all the way to St. John’s..... but Maritime Bus will now get you to North Sydney.....Marine Atlantic to Port-aux-Basques and DRL Bus across Newfoundland.

Date: 07/23/19 05:51
Author: jeffgeldner

Many thanks for posting. I made the rail connection to the same ferry shown, the Marine Atlantica- thence the bus to St. John's. However, on the return, I was able to ride the mixed narrow gauge trains of Terra Transport- from St. John's to Carbonear round trip- then from St. John's to Argentia thence back to Whitbourne where, after a bit of a walk, caught the bus to Grand Falls. After a night there, I rode the train to Corner Brook then continued via bus back to the ferry. I only wished I had time to also ride the Bonavista branch. One curiosity was the tickets sold to me in St. John's were CN stock while the ticket envelopes were Via Rail Canada's. The Carbonear train crew was especially intrigued to find a railfan from California would travel to Newfoundland just to ride the trains. I then showed them an article in Passenger Train Journal on the mixed trains of Newfoundland- my inspiration for the trip.

Jeff Geldner
Sequoia National Park, CA

Date: 07/23/19 22:09
Author: Chessie

Looking forward to my ride later this week.  Thanks again for the info. im PM's a little while back. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds