Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Canadian Railroads > BC Rail C40-8M question

Date: 08/05/19 07:29
BC Rail C40-8M question
Author: inCHI

I'm modeling a BC Rail C40-8M, and in my photo research I noticed that the top of the cab remains unchanged up to the present. That led me to two questions: Do they have A/C? Do they have PTC installations? I have a photo from fall of 2018 of 4615 and the top of the cab seems to lack PTC equipment, unless I'm not recognizing it or it is installed elsewhere.

While I'm at it, I just found a photo from last month of an SD70 that also seems to lack PTC, unless it is elsewhere. In both cases (C40-8M, SD70's without) I'm wondering if that is a sign they might be purged from the roster soon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/19 07:41 by inCHI.

Date: 08/05/19 09:56
Re: BC Rail C40-8M question
Author: PHall

You sure the C40-8M doesn't have PTC? I count seven antennas on that cab roof.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/19 09:56 by PHall.

Date: 08/05/19 10:44

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You sure the C40-8M doesn't have PTC? I count
> seven antennas on that cab roof.

"unless I'm not recognizing it or it is installed elsewhere." If that is what it looks like then that explains it.

Date: 08/05/19 11:29
Author: PHall

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PHall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You sure the C40-8M doesn't have PTC? I count
> > seven antennas on that cab roof.
>
> "unless I'm not recognizing it or it is installed
> elsewhere." If that is what it looks like then
> that explains it.

There are many variations on how many and how the antennas are mounted.
BNSF seems to use just one cone shaped antenna and a pair of 4 foot long "canoe" antenna covers on their older power that has been retrofitted.
UP likes their bolt on "pallet" with their multiple antennas mounted.

Date: 08/05/19 15:17
Author: andrewcastle

Another thing to remember is PTC is not required in Canada so as long as a unit is not leading south of the border there is no need to install it.

Andrew C

Date: 08/06/19 03:37
Author: hoggerdoug

Images of 4603, March 2007. BC Rail units never did have AC and doubtful if PTC will be installed as the units will be retired soon. The extra antennas would be for Locotrol / DPU radios and the SBU radios.
Doug

Date: 08/12/19 18:36

Thanks for the further explanation, and thanks for those images, they helped my modeling! Those are hard-to-find roof shots that really helped: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4847068

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds