Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Canadian Railroads > Two runs of VIA "Ocean" will operate 24 hours late

Date: 09/06/19 20:24
Two runs of VIA "Ocean" will operate 24 hours late
Author: DrawingroomA

Due to the hurricane which is expected to hit Nova Scotia and possibly New Brunswick, VIA has decided to delay one e/b and one w/b run of the Ocean by 24 hours. This notice appears on the VIA site:

Due to severe weather conditions, the departure of train 14 scheduled to depart Montreal September 6, 2019 is now scheduled to depart Montreal 24 hours later on September 7, 2019. And the departure of train 15 scheduled to depart Halifax September 8, 2019 is now scheduled to depart Halifax 24 hours later on September 9, 2019.

Date: 09/07/19 01:14
Re: Two runs of VIA "Ocean" will operate 24 hours late
Author: andersonb109

Credit to them. Amtrak would have canceled all together. For days. 

Date: 09/07/19 04:45
Author: ghCBNS

We're under a Hurricane Warning now and it looks like a direct hit over Halifax around 8pm this evening. I'm along the north shore of Nova Scotia and it's already raining. One particular area of concern with the storm surges is the isthmus that connects New Brunswick to Nova Scotia. This is a low diked area with the CN mainline and Trans Canada Highway just above sea level.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/19 05:13 by ghCBNS.

Date: 09/07/19 11:44

In Sept. of 2003 Hurricane Juan caused a huge amount of damage to the area. This photo of the aftermath was published in the fall 2003 edition of Vialogue. I don't know how long rail service was disrupted at the time. This a tiny photo because the original one was small. I had enlarged it but Trainorders will not permit me to attach the enlarged photo.

Date: 09/07/19 13:09
Author: 4489

Good luck to my fellow Canadians in the Maritimes and in NFLD and LAB.

Waiting for the Sharpie posting to change the course!!!

Date: 09/07/19 14:02
Author: TCnR

TO software likes the image to be 999 pixels on the largest side. Went to PSE and used Save for Web and 999 pixels.
Good luck to all.

Date: 09/07/19 15:16
Author: cn6218

CN had some serious washouts along Bedford Basin during Juan in 2003.  I don't remember which editions of the Ocean didn't (Juan hit Sunday night), but I do know the Bras d'Or ran the following Wednesday morning to Sydney.

Time will tell, but this one might be worse.  Power was off in most of the province by noon, and the worst is yet to come.

GTD

Date: 09/07/19 17:40

Thank you, TCnR. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

An excerpt of the text in the aforementioned issue of Vialogue (referring to Dave DeWolfe, director, Customer Services):

But when Halifax was hit by Hurricane Juan that buried part of the  ESC, station and parking lot under water, forced the cancellation of trains, tore the roof off VIA's old maintenance centre and left the only power to be found on parked trains, his pride was visible. "Our employees always bring us through. We rely on them, count on them, they deliver no matter what they are faced with."

Date: 09/08/19 10:58
Author: dan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds