Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Canadian Railroads > The remote service trains and their time keeping

Date: 11/03/19 17:35
The remote service trains and their time keeping
Author: renf

I have gone to northern Ontario several times to ride VIA Rail trains.  Time keeping is not their strong suit.  More then 20 years ago, I traveled on a Friday from Windsor to Toronto on VIA and then north to Cochrane on the Ontario Northland day train that no longer operates.  I spent Saturday in Cochrane and had reserved space on the Pullman car that was attached to their train the left Cochrane about 1:30 in the afternoon and arrived in Montréal at 8 the next morning.  The train from Montréal did not arrive on Saturday afternoon so I stopped at the station to ask what was happening.  The agent said that there were equipment problems but I should return on Sunday and board the train to Montreal. When I saw no equipment at the station on Sunday morning, I again asked at the depot.  I was told the train did not make the trip to Cochrane but if I came a train time, I would be put in a taxi and taken to the train which would begin its trip to Montréal from Senneterre.  I came back that afternoon and was told that a bridge was out and there would be no train to Montréal.  On Monday, I took Ontario Northland’s train back to Toronto.  For a year or so, thereafter the VIA Rail schedule listed the Senneterre to Cochrane service as temporarily suspended.  So far as I know, they never gave much thought to reestablishing Montréal to Cochrane service.

Not to be deterred, a couple of years later, I rode VIA Rail from Windsor to Montréal and then took  VIA #  603 to Senneterre.  There was a three-hour delay for a freight train repair on CN west of Harvey so we arrived in Senneterre well after 11 PM.  The hours of service rule meant that  #604 was delayed leaving Senneterre so the arrival in Montréal was after 9 PM.

Last week I took the long – 850k – drive from Ann Arbor to Sudbury – to ride #185 from Sudbury to White River with the intention of returning on #186 from White River to Sudbury   the next day.  I got to the Sudbury depot about an half hour before departure of #185.  The agents told me that the train had been cancelled just 20 minutes previously.  They offered to put me in a taxi for the very long ride to White River but I declined their office.  They were very  polite but the 850k drive back to Ann Arbor was not enjoyable.  Thank goodness, I have ridden both the White River train and the now dormant Algoma Central Sault Ste Marie to Hearst train.

I rode the Quebec North Shore and Labrador passenger train from Sept-Iles to Shafferville quite a few years ago.  The train going north was on the card by the return trip to Sept-Iles the next day was about three hours en retard.

I rode the Quebec North Shore and Labrador passenger train from Sept-Iles to Shafferville quite a few years ago.  The train going north was on the card by the return trip to Sept-Iles the next day was about three hours en retard.
It would be enjoyable to take another ride on the Tahiuetin Rail train.  I have not taken the train from La Pas to Pukatawagan but would like to do so.  Is there an hotel in Pukatawagan for the overnight stay there?

It would be enjoyable to take another ride on the Tahiuetin Rail train.  I have not taken the train from La Pas to Pukatawagan but would like to do so.  Is there an hotel in Pukatawagan for the overnight stay there?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.  It would be nice to take a round trip on VIA Rail #600 and #601 some time this winter.

Date: 11/03/19 18:17
Re: The remote service trains and their time keeping
Author: moonliter

renf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, to read about all your troubles.  I have to admit that I have been very lucky when travelling by rail over the past 50 years. Knock on wood.

>I have not taken the train
> from La Pas to Pukatawagan but would like to do
> so.  Is there an hotel in Pukatawagan for the
> overnight stay there?

I'm afraid not.

> Thanks for any suggestions you may have.  It
> would be nice to take a round trip on VIA Rail
> #600 and #601 some time this winter.

I just took this trip last month, we arrived one hour late in Jonquere.  We took the bus to Quebec City and then VIA to Ottawa later in the week. 

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 11/04/19 07:11
Author: eminence_grise

Before you make the journey to connect with Keewatin Rail at The Pas, MB, check out videos of the operation on YouTube or even some older discussions on Trainorders.

It can be a very "rugged" experience in an area of Canada of ongoing social tensions. While I have never ridden this train, decades ago I rode a similar service in northern Ontraio from Hearst to Nakina. The other passengers on the train made it apparent that I was not welcome and left the coach at Pagwa in a sorry state. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/19 11:05 by eminence_grise.

Date: 11/04/19 07:58
Author: ghCBNS

Keewatin Rail

http://www.krcrail.ca/passenger-service

Runs between The Pas and Pukatawwagan Manitoba

Tshiuetin Rail

https://www.tshiuetin.net/an_informations.html

Runs between Sept-Iles and Schefferville Quebec

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.06 seconds