Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Canadian Railroads > Booked on the Canadian - Toronto - Winnipeg

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/09/19 11:34
Booked on the Canadian - Toronto - Winnipeg
Author: P

My wife and I are booked on our first trip on the Canadian.  While we won't be seeing the spectacular Rocky Mountains, we worked a one way trip from Toronto to Winnipeg into our itinerary - allowing us to experience 2 days and 1 night in coach on this train.  Of course sleeper accommodations would be preferred, but we'll have to settle for this on this excursion.  The trip will be in February, so the landscape is sure to be a vast white wilderness - which we look forward to experiencing.  

Do any previous riders have any tips, pointers, advice, etc for us first-time VIA passengers?   We both have a fair amount of experience riding Amtrak, so we think we know what we are in for, however, differences are sure to be apparent.  A couple of specific questions:  Will we have access to a dome car?  Are food choices similiar to the old Amtrak way?  i.e. expensive fine dining available plus perhaps a loungs car selling hamburgers & ham sandwhiches, perhaps?   

Date: 11/09/19 12:25
Re: Booked on the Canadian - Toronto - Winnipeg
Author: ghCBNS

Winter! My favorite time to ride the Canadian. Warm and cozy looking out on the snowy landscape. And you do have access to the Skyline Dome. VIA does keep the lights on in the economy class Dome so viewing on moonlit night is not as good as back in the Park Car Dome .

Posted from Android

Date: 11/09/19 14:01
Author: jp1822

Since it will be winter and it is the "off season" - you may want to see what an "onboard upgrade" to sleeper would be, just for the heck of it. Can also ask the same for the Diner, as I believe you'll be limited to the Skyline for meals as well, but I remember one time I sat and had breakfast with someone from coach (they had pancakes!) in late February or may have been January. 

NOTE - I also think you'll have better scenery across the Canadian Shield if the train is on-time westbound from Toronto to Winnipeg. The "lake" and "shield" region from Sioux Lookout to nearly Winnipeg was one of my favorites. I was not a fan of the Canadian when it left Toronto at 10 pm.......It would be at Sioux Lookout at midnight heading westbound to Winnipeg. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/19 14:08 by jp1822.

Date: 11/09/19 21:11
Author: chakk

Open sections (lower and upper berths) are a great way to travel on the Canadian and all the free meals in the dining car are to die for.   I consider the Winnipeg to Vancouver the best routing, as it provides three nights on the train and two full days of meals, plus a last morning breakfast on the train, even if it arrives in Vancouver station before dawn.  (Our train in October arrived Vancouver around 5 AM -- we slept in until 7 AM before going to the dining car for breakfast.

Date: 11/10/19 05:14
Author: co614

Hope you have good luck. A very young couple who are friends of my AA did a coach trip several years ago similar to your itinerary. They had a miserable time as their coach held lots of " First Nations" folks (as the Canadians like to call their Indians) , many of whom were BADLY in need of a long shower. They tried to change cars but were told no. 

Hope you have good experience.

Ross Rowland 

Date: 11/10/19 10:28
Author: DJ-12

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>First Nations" folks (as the Canadians like to call their the original indigenous inhabitants of their country.)
>
Edited Ross’s comment above to reflect that we aren’t all still stuck in 1979 here in the states.

The Canadian is the last great North American passenger train. Have a great time!

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/19 10:45 by DJ-12.

Date: 11/10/19 12:33
Author: mundo

He asked about meals/food, can someone  advise what menu might be available in the Skyline Dome food service car.

Date: 11/10/19 13:14
Author: DrawingroomA

mundo Wrote:
> He asked about meals/food, can someone  advise
> what menu might be available in the Skyline Dome
> food service car.

This has the link to the Skyline menus on VIA's site:

https://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-info/onboard-train/meals#the-canadian

Date: 11/10/19 17:55
Author: viatrainrider

Also believe you would have access to main diner if you wish to try one of the very good meals, for a charge. Believe I saw a dining car menu in the coach Skyline with prices listed!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/10/19 17:59

IMHO Indians says it best. 

Ross Rowland 

Date: 11/10/19 19:43
Author: P

I'll check out the menu on the link above. Probably dont want to spend the money for the diner for every meal, but we will definitely patronize it if we are allowed for a couple of meals. We'll be traveling light as flights to/from Canada are part of the itinerary. As a couple, sleeping in Amtrak coach is somewhat bearable. How does it compare to the coach experience on the Canadian overnight?

Posted from Android

Date: 11/10/19 20:57
Author: thehighwayman

co614 Wrote:
> IMHO Indians says it best. 
>
>    Ross Rowland 

You sir, are a racist and that is not welcome in Canada!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 11/11/19 04:23
Author: 4MORE

Well they are INDIANS.

Date: 11/11/19 08:46

4MORE Wrote:
> Well they are INDIANS.

We don't need to get into this here ... they are what you call "indians" because Christopher Columbus was looking for India!!!!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 11/11/19 09:31

I'd plead guilty to being a realist not a racist. I spent more time than I ever wanted dealing with the Indian reservation on Vancouver Island that our line ran through as they were constantly trespassing and a couple times a year using our trains to commit suicide. If you've never been on an Indian reservation I suggest you take a tour. You'll learn a lot.

Sad but true. Ross Rowland 

Date: 11/11/19 09:53
Author: ghCBNS

Canada does not have Reservations. They are Reserves. Now referred to as Indigenous or First Nation Communities

Posted from Android

Date: 11/11/19 11:00
Author: viatrainrider

Now if I might back to the questions the individual was asking about: I believe sleeping in coach on VIA better than Amtrak! Good leg restts. And if not occupied, you can turn the seat ahead and strech out using 2 leg rests! Not too bad but I would check to see if the cost of a section for 2 is acceptable. Includes all meals and usually access to the Park Car!

In any event, have a great trip!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/11/19 12:33

Call'em what you want. Reserves,reservations etc. The two I've had to deal with I'd call hovels as they were totally filled with uncollected trash, abandoned autos, boarded up dwellings and lots of people under the influence of one or another mind altering substance. On Vancouver Island is was mostly booze & crack cocaine. 

Back to the subject, I would certainly see what an on board upgrade to a section would cost as if you can afford it you'd find it much more comfortable. 

Have a great trip. Ross Rowland 

Date: 11/11/19 14:52

Mr Rowland ....
This is not the first time you have made sarcastic and racist remarks about Canada's indigenous people.
I grew up on Vancouver Island, where you had your "tourist line."
I went to school with, and was close friends with, many of those fine indigenous people.
Your attitude is one of the reasons I hold many Americans in such low regard.
You may be very knowledgable about railways (note, I say railways), but you are a terrible example of a human being!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 11/11/19 14:53
Author: agentatascadero

And to think we coud have just left it at......that foul oder in coach section, absent the editorialism.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds