Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Canadian Railroads > More MLW Monday

Date: 01/13/20 07:56
More MLW Monday
Author: cn6218

A couple more from the Windsor & Hantsport RS-23s before I give the scanner a break.

8019, 8041 and 8042 have completed the brake test and are slowly pulling out of the Millers creek mine towards the Truro Spur on February 12, 2001.

Here's the other side of the consist as they near Windsor and the connection to the Halifax Sub.  The Truro Sub once ran from Windsor to Truro, even hosting a mixed passenger train until 1979.  When the South Maitland bridge crossing the Shubenacadie River was condemned in 1985, the track was cut back to Mantua (Millers creek) and renamed a spur.

Somewhat ironically,  the DAR was not a bastion of MLW power under CP ownership.  A pair of S-3s was tried out early in dieselization, but was judged to not be up to the task, and RS-18u 1800 was used during a track rehabilitation project in the '80s, but the line was mostly known for its SW1200RS roadswitchers and RDC-1s.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/20 08:00 by cn6218.

Date: 01/13/20 08:09
Re: More MLW Monday
Author: briancdn

Nice shots Geoff

Too bad they never had their own paint scheme. I guess there was no budget for repainting! But gret to see a gaggle of RS-23's on a train. Sorry now I never got down east to see that. At least there are stilla couple of RS-23's still working on the OS in Ontario.

Brian N.

Date: 01/13/20 09:34
Author: cn6218

They did have a bit of a corporate image.  8046 was painted in a dark maroon scheme unlike anything before or since, just before they took over the DAR in 1994.  And one former CP van and former CN day nighter coach got the Iron Road treatment, which was very similar to the CP maroon and grey.  But most of the equipment soldiered on in the increasingly faded action red.  Maybe I can find some examples of that this week.

GTD

Date: 01/13/20 12:35
Author: refarkas

Great photos of uncommon units.
Bob

Date: 01/14/20 14:04
Author: feclark

You can't post too many RS-23 shots; yum.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds