Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Canadian Railroads > What are these for?

Date: 02/02/20 08:36
What are these for?
Author: Ray_Murphy

This photo is of the diamond crossing in Lennoxville, QC where the CMQ track (the one coming down the hill) crosses over the SLQ line.

The guard rails for the two central frogs have these additional bars welded on them immediately adjacent to the frogs' points (Photo #2).

What are they for?

Ray

Date: 02/02/20 09:20
Re: What are these for?
Author: ghCBNS

Sorry...can't answer the question....but here's that crossing looking in the opposite direction.

This is the first westbound run of the restored VIA Atlantic in June 1985. It's just arrived in Lennoxville on CP (the CMQ track) and will now back through the connection to CN (SLQ).....then continue forward on CN to Montreal.

Date: 02/02/20 10:46
Author: mile250

That's a new one for me. Maybe reinforcement where the rail was showing signs of failure near those bolt holes.

Date: 02/02/20 19:46
Author: PHall

Seeing how worn down the nose of that frog is, maybe some reinforcement to insure the wheels don't wonder?

Date: 02/03/20 19:22
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Got to be a home grown version of a 'crowder' to make sure the wheels stay over where they are supposed to be. It is a shallow angle crossing and easier to pick, even with the guard rails. If there were no other bars like this welded on, I would guess this was a troublesome frog.
 Mre photos may have enlightened us.

Date: 02/04/20 14:29
Author: Ray_Murphy

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>         Got to be a home grown version of a
> 'crowder' to make sure the wheels stay over where
> they are supposed to be. It is a shallow angle
> crossing and easier to pick, even with the guard
> rails. If there were no other bars like this
> welded on, I would guess this was a troublesome
> frog.

The bars are maybe 1” high on the west side of the SLQ track, but only about 1/4” high on the east side (see Picture #2).

The first new picture here shows the view to the south (Picture #2 is a crop from the same photo), where the SLQ track enters a curve.

It occurs to me that maybe the bars are for track workers to place a level on when they are checking this installation. The crossing appears to be slightly canted as the superelevation of the SLQ line’s curve seems to start at the crossing.

Ray

p.s.  Picture #3 shows why I was there - to photograph the CMQ’s Sherbrooke Switcher bringing a cut of about 45 cars down the hill to interchange with the SLQ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/20 14:30 by Ray_Murphy.

Date: 02/05/20 21:09
Author: AndyBrown

That's a neat little junction, and nice photo of the freight!

Andy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds