Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Canadian Railroads > Some Historic Pictures

Date: 03/20/20 14:22
Some Historic Pictures
Author: CNStratford

This period without necessary tasks to do has left me time to look through old pictures.
Subscribers of a certain age will remember that the Canadian Pacific Railway ran two steamers from Port Macnicoll to Fort William Ontario.  The CPR even had a boat train from Toronto to Port Macnicoll.
In these difficult times, please forget your troubles by looking at these gorgeous family pictures from a happier time.

Date: 03/20/20 14:46
Re: Some Historic Pictures
Author: ghCBNS

Very nice! Thanks

Posted from Android

Date: 03/20/20 16:41
Author: DrawingroomA

Thank you. The closest I got to the SS Keewatin or SS Assiniboia when in CPR service was riding the boat train a few times from Union Station to West Toronto. I always wanted to take one of those ships to Fort William and continue west on The Canadian, something the CPR advertised as an alternative to taking the train the whole way from Toronto. Alas, the ships were withdrawn whilst I was still in  school. Fortunately, the Keewatin has been repatriated to Port McNicoll and is available for tours.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/property-report/in-pictures-tour-grand-old-lady-of-the-great-lakes/article4545641/

Some photos of the boat train and the ship:

https://taytownshipheritage.wordpress.com/2015/09/27/canadian-pacific-rail-terminus-port-mcnicoll/

Date: 03/20/20 17:45
Author: moonliter

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you. The closest I got to the SS Keewatin or
> SS Assiniboia when in CPR service was riding the
> boat train a few times from Union Station to West
> Toronto. 

This trip was also something I wished that I was old enough to do.  Finally in 2017 I had the opportunity.  It took a bit of money, a car, CNR trackage and a whole lot of imagination but I did it.  ; )

Photo 1:  The boat train.
Photo 2:  The boat.
Photo 3:  The dining salon. 
All photos taken on May 22, 2017
Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/20 16:47 by moonliter.

Date: 03/22/20 10:46
Author: asheldrake

GREAT pictures......your dinning room picture shows what I think is a very unique feature of the time....pegs to hold the diner's hat in place under the chair....we have a rail car dining room chair at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center of similar design and intent....as I tell our visitors, most all males at the time wore hats....but NEVER at the dining room table...and the peg was to keep the hat from sliding off.    thanks for the posting.      Arlen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds