Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Canadian Railroads > Counting down the trains

Date: 04/02/20 21:29
Counting down the trains
Author: loleta

As noted in previous threads, CN is ending operations on 270 miles of the former BC Rail between Squamish and Williams Lake. Here are some photos along that line from about a week ago, with some more recent ones to follow another day.
1. Train 570 approaches the tunnel at Scott.
2. Stopped at D'Arcy.
3. Approaching Birken.

Loleta Fernbridge

Date: 04/02/20 21:32
Re: Counting down the trains

4. Train 571 meets 570 at Creekside.
5. Between Tisdall and Green River.

- L.F.

Date: 04/02/20 21:34

6. Approaching Garibaldi.
7. Brackendale.
8. Arriving at the destination of Squamish.

- L.F.

Date: 04/02/20 22:25
Author: exhaustED

Some really interesting and atmospheric shots, I really like photos 1 and 3. That DASH-8 looks great!

Date: 04/03/20 00:59
Author: coach

Imagine being an engineer, at night, running a train in that first show, in the pouring rain.  I'd be quite nervous.  That line is a civil engineering marvel.

Date: 04/03/20 01:10
Author: PRR_4859

Is this section of railroad equipped with CTC or is is controlled by track warrants?

Also, any idea if the shutdown on this section will be permanent?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 04/03/20 01:51
Author: railsmith

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this section of railroad equipped with CTC or
> is is controlled by track warrants?
>
> Also, any idea if the shutdown on this section
> will be permanent?

Occupancy Control System.  https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/rules-tco167-172.htm

Presumably, the shutdown will last as long as these business conditions persist. The B.C. softwood lumber industry is depressed owing to various factors, including devastation of forests by pine beetle kill and wildfires. There is also a shift toward larger mills with high-tech production processes, meaning that millwork is concentrated in fewer locations, which have to have an adequate timber supply relatively nearby.

In the past, this line has been a key detour route for CN (even before the 2004 take-over) when its transcontinental mainline has been blocked by slides, major bridge damage, and so on. I'd be surprised if CN did not maintain it in a suitable condition for that purpose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/20 05:18 by railsmith.

Date: 04/03/20 01:54
Author: hoggerdoug

Too bad the units were not BC Rail, just one more time. My gut feeling is CN will not run trains again over this trackage.  Poster above, this track is OCS (Occupancy Control System) a computerized form of manual block.
Doug

Date: 04/03/20 06:59
Author: thehighwayman

Photo 1 shows one of the reasons for the shutdown ... that is a very short train!
That does not mean I like the shutdown.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 04/03/20 17:58
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting series!

​Larry

Date: 04/04/20 15:34
Author: ns1000

Great pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds