Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Canadian Railroads > BCR at Lilloet 1979

Date: 04/09/20 14:00
BCR at Lilloet 1979
Author: thebluecomet

Having read the numerous reports of the shutdown of a major portion of the BC Rail line, I decided to scan and post what I have.
During a three week cross-country (US) trip, I made a side trip up from Seattle to Vancouver in order to ride the RDC's up to Lilloet and back.  After geting into Van around midnight and oversleeping, I made a fast run( downhill !! ) to the ferry and a quick taxi ride to the station.  Just barely making the train I missed any opportunity for pictures at North Van.  The train was running pretty full all the way north.  I later found out there were local tribal elections that day.  After a quick lunch across from the station, I'll let the pictures tell the story from here.

1. Heading north along Seton Lake we pass a freight.  I was hoping it would catch up when I got to Lilloet, as seen below it worked out well.

2. My train at Lilloet.  All the images here are from May 5, 1979.

3. A big M parked at the service area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/20 16:18 by thebluecomet.

Date: 04/09/20 14:04
Re: BCR at Lilloet 1979

4.  A RS3 and the RDC's at the service area.

5.  The northbound freight finally arrived led by 724.

6.  While it stopped, I walked around to the sunnier side.  They made a setout, then cutoff the units for fuel.

Date: 04/09/20 14:07

7.  A chopnosed RS18 is the trailing unit.

8.  Everything in town getting attention.

9.  The incoming crew was very friendly and I was invited up in the cab while they backed up to their train.

Date: 04/09/20 14:13

10.  The freight departs town with some nice MLW sounds.

11.  Off to Prince George.  The southbound RDC train #2 arrived a bit later. A very large crowd boarded and I wasn't able to get any shots.

12.  The conductor motioned me up front to the first class cars.  While those cars were in need of refurbishment, it was lightly patronized.  Also got a meal onboard.  After dinner, I spent some time in the Dutch Door while the train skirted Howe Sound. All-in-all, a very nice day.  Long, but nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/20 14:18 by thebluecomet.

Date: 04/09/20 15:41
Author: SantaFe9820

holy guacamole. All these shots are awesome!

Date: 04/09/20 16:52
Author: tomstp

A 2 car train and it had food?  Wow.

Date: 04/09/20 17:05
Author: TCnR

Good stuff. The RDC crews were great. All the road crews would wave as well.
t4p.

Date: 04/09/20 18:12

Actually there were four heading back south.  The two cars down from Prince George were coupled to the two making the quick round trip from North Van.  You will notice the lead car in the last image is a RDC3.  I believe, don't hold me to it, the RPO area was made into a kitchen.  Menu wasn't anything special, mostly sandwiches and quick reheated things.

Date: 04/09/20 20:30
Author: ts1457

thebluecomet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually there were four heading back south.  The
> two cars down from Prince George were coupled to
> the two making the quick round trip from North
> Van.  You will notice the lead car in the last
> image is a RDC3.  I believe, don't hold me to it,
> the RPO area was made into a kitchen.  Menu
> wasn't anything special, mostly sandwiches and
> quick reheated things.

Yes, but between North Vancouver and Prince George, a first class passenger got three full meals and a couple of coffee breaks with a snack if I remember my 1974 trip accurately. Definitely an enjoyable trip.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0758 seconds