Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Canadian Railroads > New "Switcher" for Halifax

Date: 05/17/20 09:45
New "Switcher" for Halifax
Author: cn6218

It seems that anything with 4 axles (and sometimes more) can be a switcher these days, and the latest arrival in Halifax has been GP40-2L 9411.  Where it once hauled priority fast freight across the country (the first orders of 9400s came with 75 mph gearing) it is now reduced to delivering that high priority freight from the intermodal pad to Rockingham Yard where some anonymous AC GE will convey it to Montreal, Toronto, or further.  9411 does seem to have received a fresh coat of CN's latest livery, although the fluorescent green paint on the coupler doesn't seem to be company issue.  Photographed at the Halifax Intermodal Terminal on May 11th at 18:04.

GTD

Date: 05/17/20 12:29
Re: New "Switcher" for Halifax
Author: PHall

Is that an orange rubber cone on top of the bell???

Date: 05/17/20 12:53
Author: cn6218

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that an orange rubber cone on top of the
> bell???

Yes!  I didn't even notice it myself, at first.  I was so gob smacked with the green paint.

GTD

Date: 05/17/20 12:57
Author: HAMTURN

You think you got problems. In the Hamilton area we have three. We have  4719 4716 and 4750
Plus we have a GMD1.

Bill Turner Hamilton Ont.

Date: 05/17/20 16:09
Author: moonliter

I've seen this green paint around railways before, sadly it was when the rail was lifted.  In this case it was the CPR' Chalk River sub being dismantled back in April 2012.  The sub was all stick rail but was welded into 1/4 mile lengths by Holland LP before it was loaded and hauled away.  Perhaps this locomotive was on a similar assignment prior to being sent to Halifax.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/20 16:11 by moonliter.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds