Canadian Railroads > Port Arthur Station-1949

Date: 07/05/20 08:48
Port Arthur Station-1949
Author: CNStratford

Whose station was this?

Date: 07/05/20 09:14
Re: Port Arthur Station-1949
Author: ghCBNS

I'm guessing Canadian Northern Railway as that looks like the Canadian Northern's 'Prince Arthur Hotel' right behind it.

Hotel and tracks are still there but not this station!

But if you look at this street-view there is another station just south of this on the opposite side of the tracks:

https://goo.gl/maps/sUJgrkA4SDg61se5A

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/20 09:25 by ghCBNS.

Date: 07/05/20 10:53
Author: DrawingroomA

The CPR station was used by The Canadian. It had been renamed Thunder Bay North some time after the amalgamation of Fort William and Port Arthur. My earliest VIA timetables show that VIA didn't use that stop. The CPR Thunder Bay (former Fort William) station can be seen by scrolling down on the link in the posting above. It is at Syndicate Ave. at CPR Subway St.

It surprised me that the CPR's steamships Assiniboia and Keewatin called at both Fort William and Port Arthur.

Date: 07/05/20 11:43
Author: CNStratford

Thanks for your help.  Further research turned up this post card from CanRail.  It shows the CPR Port Arthur Station on the west side of the tracks and the Canadian Northern station on the east side - both in front of the Prince Arthur hotel.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds