Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Canadian Railroads > Eastbound empty coal train along Moose Lake BC 1973

Date: 08/09/20 21:29
Eastbound empty coal train along Moose Lake BC 1973
Author: photobob

An empty coal train rolls along the shore of Moose Lake BC in May 1973.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 08/10/20 07:31
Re: Eastbound empty coal train along Moose Lake BC 1973
Author: King_Coal

Nice to see the GP9 pitching in to help with the old-school hopper train. Very nice photo.

Date: 08/10/20 09:31
Author: eminence_grise

I'm guessing those are sulfur empties, by the light coloured scuff marks on the outside of the cars and the light colour of the inside.

Sulfur is a biproduct of the natural gas wells in Alberta and BC, and is used as a component in fertilizer. In the 1970's, both CP and CN ran partial unit trains of sulfur to Vancouver. Both used older hopper cars for this service, as the sulfur was corrosive to steel.

Finally, as the sulfur business increased, an alliance of sulfur companies called Sultrans ordered bathtub gondolas with interior linings resistant to corrosion. The first were steel cars very similar to coal cars. In the last few years, aluminum cars have been used. Entire unit trains are operated by both railways.

Date: 08/10/20 11:29
Author: TCnR

Great photo in many ways. In Photography school that was the background, or subject for that matter that everyone wanted, blue sky, nature in the foreground, nature in the background and usually black and white. Your Canada trip produced a hige number of great photos, hope they get the attention that they deserve in print.
Steinhammer's phrase of ' find a pretty picture and fill it with a train ' fits very well.
t4p.

Date: 08/10/20 14:57
Author: ns1000

NIICE..!!

Date: 08/11/20 15:58
Author: feclark

I've loved your many B&W posts, but this one seems a bit different. Polarizing filter, or a red filter, or something? It is so sharp and crisp. Of course, this area isn't open like this anymore; too many bleeping trees. I'm envious!
Fred

Date: 08/11/20 16:29
Author: photobob

I used a red filter on a Bronica-S medium format camera.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 08/11/20 18:39
Author: bakersfielddave

is a comparative photo available  from nowadays from this exact location to compare thanks?

Date: 08/11/20 19:33
Author: feclark

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used a red filter on a Bronica-S medium format
> camera.

I figured that was most likely, to get the red nose to pop. I see you're in Dunsmuir now; were you there back at the time? I recall SP photographers needed something to get the red nose to show up in B&W.
Fred

Date: 08/11/20 20:28
Author: eminence_grise

bakersfielddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is a comparative photo available  from nowadays
> from this exact location to compare thanks?

Highway 16 got a massive upgrade in the early 1970's, including an overpass over the CN at this location. The slope between the highway and the railway has grown in with trees in the years since then.

Also, a power line has been added beside the CN .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds