Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Canadian Railroads > ID this if you can, please

Date: 08/14/20 06:40
ID this if you can, please
Author: BobE

Photo from the archives of the late Bryce Lee (he was thumper here on TO).  This slide is only labeled as being at the St Luc shops in Montreal in 1972.

TIA,

BobE

Date: 08/14/20 06:50
Re: ID this if you can, please
Author: hoggerdoug

Almost looks like PGE "two tone green" paint job.
Doug

Date: 08/14/20 07:12

Info from another fellow is that the unit was former D&H 4097, owned by United Railway Supply April 1972 and suggested that is was sold to perhaps a pulp and paper mill.
Doug

Date: 08/14/20 07:18

Did a google for D&H 4097, sold to Crown Zellerbach, May 1973,  Comox Logging and Railway on Vancouver Island.
Doug

Date: 08/14/20 08:44

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did a google for D&H 4097, sold to Crown
> Zellerbach, May 1973,  Comox Logging and Railway
> on Vancouver Island.
> Doug

Thanks Doug!  My brain said it seemed like something I once saw that was Quebec North Shore paper in Baie Comaue, but I couldn't confirm it with any searches.  Brain playing tricks on me again.

BobE

Date: 08/14/20 10:00

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did a google for D&H 4097, sold to Crown
> Zellerbach, May 1973,  Comox Logging and Railway
> on Vancouver Island.
> Doug

OK, here's something that explains the paint....it was being prepped for PGE, and an inspector said no (not sure who the inspector worked for; it's a report from a Vancouver Islander via Facebook)) and then Crown Zellerbach bought it.

BobE

Date: 08/15/20 10:20
Author: eminence_grise

There were several RS-3's outside United Railway Supply (Cartierville QC) in variations of the two tone BCR scheme. None went to the BCR. Images are from September 31st, 1972.

The Pacific Great Eastern became BC Rail in April 1972. Possibly there were management changes which resulted in the order being cancelled. 103 was a former QNS&L unit which arrived with a homebuilt short hood, another RS-3 must have been sacrificed for the replacement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/20 11:11 by eminence_grise.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds