Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Canadian Railroads > QNS&L 526 at Tacoma WA fresh out of Progress Rail

Date: 09/12/20 12:24
QNS&L 526 at Tacoma WA fresh out of Progress Rail
Author: Super-C

# 1  QNS&L unit 526   waiting to be picked up. unit is ex BHP iron ore unit.  It had cab replaced and totally rebuilt by Progress  Rail  Tacoma WA. first shot is from parking garage roof.Date April 2020
# 2  QNS&L  unit 526  from track side. Date April 2020

photos by Chris Marshall

Date: 09/12/20 12:38
Re: QNS&L 526 at Tacoma WA fresh out of Progress Rail
Author: PHall

Trying to figure out what the yellow strobe light next to the horns is for.

Date: 09/12/20 13:52
Author: AlcoRSD15

Shore looks purty!  - E.B.

Date: 09/12/20 15:26
Author: up833

That oiught to brighten up ;the dismals
RB

Date: 09/12/20 17:59
Author: eminence_grise

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trying to figure out what the yellow strobe light
> next to the horns is for.

QNS&L was a pioneer of engineer only operation, and has stated they would like to operate crewless trains.

The iron ore mines and the concentrator yards were the pioneers of RCU operation. I could see QNS&L having their road power equipped for RCU operation to save on the need for a switch engine.

Date: 09/13/20 08:39
Author: wyeth

Looks like they put an EMD isolated cab on the rebuilt unit replacing the original "thunder" cab.  Bet MRL crews wish MRL would have done that with the used ex-BHP SD70ace's that they bought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/20 08:40 by wyeth.

Date: 09/14/20 12:38
Author: grizzledgary

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PHall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> QNS&L was a pioneer of engineer only operation,
> and has stated they would like to operate crewless
> trains.
>
>You are correct. I was part of a crew sent to the QNS&L by GE Harris in the spring of 1997 to install what would prove to be the forerunner of PTC in their motive power, self propelled MOW equipment and the (5) RDC's that at the time held down their passenger assignments. As the Wabush Lake Railway interchanged with the QNS&L their fleet of MLW RS18's also needed to have the hardware installed. As we had to test each installation many hours were spent in all the equipment but the cabs of those four little units handling 60-70 loaded ore cars proved the most entertaining for me with the RDC's (sometimes trailing an ex-Wabash dome car...) ranking a close second. We lived on the railroad in the crew quarters a good portion of the months we were there and were flown in the corporate hired helicopters to remote locations where we could work on the MOW equipment while the crews were on rest days. We also did a good bit of high railing through some really stunning country. It was quite an adventure but the schedule and weather were challenging at times. Looking back its one of those things you wouldn't want to have missed but but just as well not care to repeat.

The reason for the project was after the system was in place and operating as designed the railroad was allowed to operate with a one man crew. I almost forgot to mention I was able to observe the C636's in service on the nearby Cartier system on one of my few days off, some good fortune there.

Date: 10/31/20 21:36
Author: SD45X

Interesting they covered the radiator fans.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds