Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN 120 Between Amherst and Oxford Jct.

Date: 09/24/20 17:49
CN 120 Between Amherst and Oxford Jct.
Author: cn6218

On August 20, armed with the knowledge that 120 was running considerably later than usual, and the prospect of clear skies to the west, I made the 2 hour drive to Amherst to chase the train back to Halifax.

Rather than deal with COVID-19 regulations for New Brunswick, I started at the west end of Amherst siding, just a mile or two east of the provincial border.  120, with GE locomotives 2959, 3136, 2869 and 2552 rolled past me at 11:31 as they slowed for the crossings in town.

At 12:00 the train was passing the VIA flag stop at Springhill Jct., and then 22 minutes later they hit the west switch at Oxford Jct.  The red target just ahead of 2959 is the west leg of the former wye and connection to the Oxford Sub.  It was a secondary line that followed the Northumberland shore of Nova Scotia to Pictou town, and eventually reconnected with the Hopewell Sub at Stellarton.  The last few miles still exist, and are operated by the Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Rwy. to serve Michelin Tire and a dormant pulp mill.  A similar spur existed at this end to serve the salt mine in Pugwash, but highway construction saw a deal to have a salt transload at the junction instead.  That only lasted a few years before being abandoned by the shipper, and the track is now just used for MoW equipment storage.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.026 seconds