Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Canadian Railroads > Lonely

Date: 09/24/20 20:14
Lonely
Author: Blackfoot

Indian Cabins AB, on CN's Meander River Sub, about 10 miles south of the Alberta / Northwest Territories border.  It's a cold lonely place in the middle of winter, with not much to offer the railfan.  I spent two winters in this area working on oil rigs - never saw or heard a single train.  All I have is this one picture from February 1981.

Cheers,
Dwayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/20 20:15 by Blackfoot.

Date: 09/25/20 17:53
Re: Lonely
Author: Magellan13

Thanks for the photo!  

Not sure what the operations are like now, but in 2013 I believe trains ran north from Roma Junction and south from Hay River 2-3 times a week, and both tied up in High Level for the night.  Next day, they would return to their home terminal.  Only saw the Hay River - High Level train (the section where Indian Cabins is) a couple of times, but seemed to be a pair of four-axle engines and a train of 20-25 cars length, mostly northbound fuel oil and southbound empties.  

"Somewhere" in my archives I have a picture at the northernmost contiguous rail in North America - the trackage into the shipyard at Hay River NT.  If I ever find it I will post it on here.

Magellan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds