Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Canadian Railroads > Need help on VIA Canadian Train

Date: 11/12/20 11:57
Need help on VIA Canadian Train
Author: edsaalig

Currently I have cabin B book in car 230 Prestigae sleeper car.  I have the chance to take room B in the Park car.  Which woiuld be better?  are the rooms the same?  Same size same bathroom?  Thans for any and all help yo can give me.  My departure date is May 3  on train number 2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/20 13:17 by edsaalig.

Date: 11/12/20 13:50
Re: Need help on VIA Canadian Train
Author: andersonb109

All Prestige rooms are the same with the exception of the accessible (handicap) room in the Park Car. I believe it's room A. There is access right off the vestibule. I always liked the Park Car back in the day before Prestige Service. No need to ever leave the car other than to go the diner. But some don't care for the whip lash like motion being the last car on the train. That never bothered me. While I don't know the room numbers, in the Chateau cars, probably best to avoid the rooms at both ends of the car over the wheels. Hope they have restored full service by then but don't hold your breath. . When the Canadian is finally reinstated in December, there will be no Park or Skyline cars. Only sleepers, diner, and food carts for the coaches. No thanks. Meanwhile to their credit, Amtrak has kept it's lounges open with reduced capacity.  This virus is very smart. It knows what cars on the train can become infected and which ones can't. Hope you get to go and have a great trip. 

Date: 11/12/20 16:47
Author: eminence_grise

Via released a "five year plan" for the upcoming five years. They state they don't intend to re-instate the three train a week schedule year round, but plan on retaining a two train a week Toronto-Vancouver service post pandemic.

Date: 11/12/20 17:33
Author: 41bridge

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Via released a "five year plan" for the upcoming
> five years. They state they don't intend to
> re-instate the three train a week schedule year
> round, but plan on retaining a two train a week
> Toronto-Vancouver service post pandemic.

Link to story. Apologies if behind a paywall. Bottom line 2 trains only, no 3rd ever.

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2020/11/11-via-rail-five-year-plan-says-third-canadian-trip-wont-be-restored-casts-doubt-on-trains-future

Date: 11/12/20 18:56
Author: railsmith

41bridge Wrote:
> eminence_grise Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Via released a "five year plan" for the
> upcoming
> > five years. They state they don't intend to
> > re-instate the three train a week schedule year
> > round, but plan on retaining a two train a week
> > Toronto-Vancouver service post pandemic.
>
> Link to story. Apologies if behind a paywall.
> Bottom line 2 trains only, no 3rd ever.
>
> https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2020/11/11-v
> ia-rail-five-year-plan-says-third-canadian-trip-wo
> nt-be-restored-casts-doubt-on-trains-future

The Trains item is incorrect in stating that the third round-trip ended in 2019. In fact, it ended in 2018.  In lieu of that third Vancouver-Toronto trip, a Vancouver-Edmonton round-trip was introduced in 2019 and that is planned again for 2021.

Date: 11/13/20 03:29
Author: Jimbo

The original poster was asking about the rooms, and IIRC the rooms would be the same.  Being in the Park car means you are in the same car with the dome and lounge, and the staff-provided food and drinks are right there too.

As was mentioned, the ride on the rear car may be rougher.  

Jim

Date: 11/13/20 09:29
Author: jp1822

Typically I go between three cars on the Canadian:

1) The Diner
2) The Sleeper Car I am assigned to (evening only for bed)
3) The Park Car

Since I've not really felt "whip lashed" before in the Park Car in general, even while in its dome car, I'd probably just eliminate this down to being in two cars - The Diner and the Park Car, which I would also have Room B in for Prestige class. So I'd be inclined to move over to the Park Car and then you also get a feeling that this is your own private car to a degree. And the Park Car now is reserved to just Prestige passengers during the height of the season (peak season - May to September?). Glad you are going for the gold with the Prestige Room, especially if it is a once in a lifetime. Hopefully I still have more trips ahead when things get normalized. So that means I am travelling in off-peak season so I can get a regular sleeper and still enjoy the Park Car "off-peak."

As for the Canadian going from three to two days a week, I think the Edmonton to Vancouver train in peak season (thus three round trips WEST of Edmonton in PEAK season only) was more of a transitional stage/train, and provided VIA with some data to make the final decision to go to two days a week. It was tested and tried, with the goal - can we successfully get the Canadian to twice a week Toronto to Vancouver year-round. I think VIA feels this can be done - two days a week.

Ironically, 15 years ago, VIA was pushing for six days a week Vancouver to Jasper during peak season. That never came to be though. The two days a week year-round would also better facilitate transfer of cars BACK to the Ocean, as a result of the Renaissance fleet retirement. How often do temporary things become permanent??? 

Date: 11/15/20 05:52
Author: DrawingroomA

jp1822 Wrote:
>
> As for the Canadian going from three to two days a
> week, I think the Edmonton to Vancouver train in
> peak season (thus three round trips WEST of
> Edmonton in PEAK season only) was more of a
> transitional stage/train, and provided VIA with
> some data to make the final decision to go to two
> days a week. It was tested and tried, with the
> goal - can we successfully get the Canadian to
> twice a week Toronto to Vancouver year-round. I
> think VIA feels this can be done - two days a
> week.
VIA is planning on running the third train between Vancouver and Edmonton (#3 and 4) in peak season next year.

Regarding the Prestige room "B" in the Park car, two years ago friends occupied this cabin. They did not find the ride uncomfortable. I visited them frequently and found it smooth. When VIA operated drawing rooms on the Canadian for many years my wife and I liked to have "A" in the Park car, as we did on the Ocean and Atlantic. One night on the Canadian and also on the  Ocean we experienced considerable noise from passengers in the lounge areas. When the racket died down passengers passing our door (the walls and doors on the Budd equipment are very thin) shouted their good-byes to those still in the lounge. After that we preferred our drawing room to be in a Chateau sleeper, although this has rarely been possible on the Canadian for many years.

Our friends said there was never any noise on the four nights. Bar service stops early - 11:00 p.m. I believe. So this may no longer be a problem. But in the unlikely event I book Prestige I would choose a room in a Chateau sleeper. Cabin "A" in the Prestige Chateau sleeper should be avoided. It is in the position where roomettes used to be. I asked the Prestige concierge if he had heard complaints from passengers about the riding quality and he said he had several times. If the car wasn't full he would move passengers to another room. Cabin "F" at the other end should ride better as it is set back a bit from the end.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0929 seconds