Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Canadian Railroads > Dirty

Date: 01/02/21 15:19
Dirty
Author: Blackfoot

Today's Toronto-Buffalo train #246 was led by one of the dirtiest CP units I've ever seen.  Everything behind the cab looks pretty much normal, but the front of the unit looks like it's been in a fire.  The "Blue Devil" was an added bonus.  Pictures taken at MP 1.6 of the North Toronto Sub, just east of Mt Pleasant Road, Toronto.

Cheers,
Dwayne

Date: 01/02/21 15:23
Re: Dirty
Author: briancdn

Looks like the cab might have been rebuilt or replaced, as the cab number is clean. Very nice photos with the snow clinging to the branches.
Brian N.

Date: 01/02/21 15:54
Author: 1019X

briancdn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like the cab might have been rebuilt or
> replaced, as the cab number is clean. Very nice
> photos with the snow clinging to the branches.
> Brian N.
Also the white frame stripe looks to be in good shape as well. Looks like they needed out of the shop before the final paint job.

Date: 01/02/21 16:19
Author: Blackfoot

Here's a cropped view of just the lead unit.  The numbers and the safety stripe are clean, but the the green cross and CP logo are dirty, and the upper right corner near the window is showing some of the original red.  I wish I had paid more attention when it was passing by, but I was distracted by the trailing CN unit.

Cheers,
Dwayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/21 16:23 by Blackfoot.

Date: 01/02/21 17:22
Author: LKeithR

Several years ago when I was at the Kamloops North station I got some shots of a southbound CN
train where the lead engine had suffered a turbo explosion and spewed oil all over the place.  The
trailing unit looked a lot like the one in the photo except the windshields and number boards hadn't
been wiped down yet.  I'll post a couple pics if I can find them...

Edit...discovered I had already posted some pics.  It wasn't the lead engine that suffered the failure.
The second engine puked all over itself.  Here's a link to the thread...

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4322384,4322384#4322384

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/21 17:29 by LKeithR.

Date: 01/02/21 22:26
Author: feclark

I could never imagine that location looking magic; what a transformation!
Fred

Date: 01/03/21 06:32
Author: Goldie

Very interesting. Thanks for the post. Happy New Year.

Date: 01/03/21 07:52
Author: Charls

My take is that if this was oil, it wouold shows further back, to me this unit was mid-helper in a coal unit trains and something went amisssed when the hopper ahead was unleaded, or more likely when the loading happen so it got a coal shower, and because those loader are very specific in loading chute arrea, that is why only the cab got hit  downward, as it would not spread backward as oil on the move with the wind action.

Date: 01/03/21 14:00
Author: LKeithR

Charls Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My take is that if this was oil, it wouold shows
> further back, to me this unit was mid-helper in a
> coal unit trains and something went amisssed when
> the hopper ahead was unleaded, or more likely when
> the loading happen so it got a coal shower, and
> because those loader are very specific in loading
> chute arrea, that is why only the cab got hit 
> downward, as it would not spread backward as oil
> on the move with the wind action.

I was thinking along those lines too.  The pictures of the "oiled" locomotives shows that the oil goes
everywhere but it's not a uniform coating.  Looking at the pics in this post you'd almost think that the
black colour was painted on, it's so uniform...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 01/03/21 15:40
Author: ns1000

Pic 1 stands out....

Date: 01/05/21 13:11
Author: PHall

It almost looks like they painted the front of the loco with that water based temp paint they use in the movie industry.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0561 seconds