Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Canadian Railroads > Daylight Ocean/Chaleur in the Matapédia Valley

Date: 01/07/21 12:41
Daylight Ocean/Chaleur in the Matapédia Valley
Author: cn6218

Even on the longest days of the year, the Ocean's passage through the Matapédia Valley in eastern Quebec is mostly in darkness.  Unless of course, the train is running late for some reason.

June 9, 2007 was one of those days.  Problems in Montreal getting rebuilt F40 6400 to MU properly with the other two units meant that the consist was rearranged so 6400 was trailing, and the train was a bit more than 3 hours late by the time they got to Routhierville, where Quebec Rt. 132 goes over both the Matapédia River and the old ICR main line.  The Chaleur was still running at this time, and its Budd consist was ahead of the Ocean's Renaissance cars.  In the second image, taken just before 10:00, the train is slowing for the station stop at Matapédia, where the train will be split before the Ocean continues on into New Brunswick, and eventually Halifax, NS.

About half an hour later, with the Ocean already on its way, the Chaleur is starting along the north bank of the Restigouche River towards Gaspé.  Unfortunately the late timing meant that the train would short turn at New Carlisle, instead of going all the way to the end of the line, so I had to settle for chasing the Ocean back to Halifax instead of spending another day in the Gaspé.

GTD

Date: 01/07/21 13:53
Re: Daylight Ocean/Chaleur in the Matapédia Valley
Author: feclark

Beautiful images; so much green. Ahhh.
Fred

Date: 01/07/21 14:59
Author: briancdn

Very nice photos!
Brian N.

Date: 01/07/21 20:26
Author: DGOLDE

Nice photos I have always like the photos I took in this valley back in 1993.  Have any freight photos?

Date: 01/08/21 07:47
Author: King_Coal

Nice series of some great scenery. I have a MLW PR print with FPA4s in the green and black delivery scheme running in that territory that I've cherished since my Grandfather gave it to me. I have dreamed of making the trip for a long time. Hopefully soon.

Date: 01/08/21 08:11
Author: ghCBNS

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I have dreamed of making the trip for a long time
> Hopefully soon.

Best time to ride through the Matapedia Valley is late May and June when the sun is up early. Hopefully the Ocean will be running again by then. Here's Breakfast on the Ocean in June a couple of years ago:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4582882,4582882#msg-4582882

Date: 01/08/21 16:08
Author: ns1000

I like Pic 1!!

Date: 01/08/21 18:09
Author: cn6218

DGOLDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photos I have always like the photos I took
> in this valley back in 1993.  Have any freight
> photos?

Unfortunately, freight seems to be a nightime operation as well.  Although right now it's academic, since Quebec just went into a 4-week lockdown with a nightly curfew to try and stem the tide of COVID cases.

I did have a daylight trip  through the valley two years ago on the Ocean.  We were delayed by a derailed snowplow.  It was light before we got to Joffre, so I made sure to get a good seat in the Park car for the trip along the river.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds