Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday - Using the Ellwood Connector Addition

Date: 03/01/21 19:11
MLW Monday - Using the Ellwood Connector Addition
Author: moonliter

Add-on to feclark's post. See my map in the previous post for photo locations.

Fred had mentioned Ellwood diamond in his Thirty-eight Thursday post.  When I took the “35 years later” photo I thought that I would include photos of the diamond also.

Photo 1:  VIA No.42 crossing Ellwood diamond.   This is where the former CN Beachburg sub crossed the CP Ellwood sub.  The connecting track is in the foreground, under the piles of construction material.  My shot is facing south while Fred would have been on the other side of the pile shooting north with his back to the diamond.
Today the Beachburg now belongs to VIA and the Ellwood sub is OC Transpo’s Trillium line.   Up until the spring of 2020 the O-Train crossed VIA’s line at grade.  Last May the Trillium line was closed (for two years) for upgrades.  One upgrade is the separation of the two lines with a bridge over the VIA Line.
My photo is of VIA No.42 (from Toronto), about 8 minutes away from its final destination, Ottawa.    February 27, 2021

Photo 2:  Here is the photo of VIA No.52 crossing Heron Road.  I’m pointing east.  As you can see the road has been 4-laned and grade-separated.  I wanted to take the shot closer to the diamond but the snow was too deep and I did not have time to get in position.   February 28, 2021

Photo 3:  This time I came equipped with snow shoes and was able to get closer to the diamond.  (It had already been removed)  That was no problem as the shot was not great because of the brush.  I snow shoed above the deep snow to a higher spot for this photo of VIA No.42.    February 28, 2021

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 03/01/21 20:06
Re: MLW Monday - Using the Ellwood Connector Addition
Author: feclark

Awesome work, Gerry! I really love the shot over Heron Road; that works so well. I guess I should get some "diamondy" shots scanned, given that it's gone now.
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/21 20:07 by feclark.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0526 seconds