Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Chaleur and the Bridges on the Gaspé

Date: 03/05/21 04:57
The Chaleur and the Bridges on the Gaspé
Author: cn6218

Part of the attraction of the Chaleur's route was the many and varied bridges that it crossed on its way from Matapédia to Gaspé and back.  Most of these were over a river where it dumped into the ocean, but there were also a few impressive trestles inland, spanning some valleys.

In the first image here, the Chaleur is about 20 minutes away from Gaspé town, crossing the Saint-Jean River at Haldimand Beach, on March 13, 2010.

On the return trip the same day, train 17 is at the east end of Grand Rivière, crossing the Rivière de la Brèche à Manon, on an impressive span that is more suited to the river's name than the amount of water flowing under it.

Two days later, we caught the westbound train in Gasçons, about to go under Hwy 132 and onto a long deck girder trestle over a valley.

GTD

Date: 03/05/21 06:16
Re: The Chaleur and the Bridges on the Gaspé
Author: hoggerdoug

First image the train is humbled by the spectacular scenery.
Doug

Date: 03/05/21 13:13
Author: feclark

The setting of the second shot is beautiful; that looks like a rather vulnerable right of way.
Fred

Date: 03/07/21 06:25
Author: jp1822

This was truly a neat train - a nice train to take out of Montreal for the evening and then explore the Gaspe peninsula on the next day.......It was the only train I ever rode and also did a same day turn with. It was spectacular scenery from Matapedia out to Gaspe. The onboard staff was great. The price of a triple bedroom was so cheap, that I booked it, instead of a single bedroom! I do hope they are able to get this train back online. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds