Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Canadian Railroads > F-Unit Friday - Supercontinental Over CP's Carleton Place Sub ROW

Date: 03/05/21 13:23
F-Unit Friday - Supercontinental Over CP's Carleton Place Sub ROW
Author: feclark

On April 9, 1977, CN 6521 led what I guess was still CN's EB Supercontinental across the trestle carrying the Beachburg Sub over the right-of-way of the abandoned portion of CP's Carleton Place Sub, in Bells Corners, west end of Ottawa. The train has just come off the overpass of Moodie Drive at 0800, so it's about 75 minutes late, I think.
Fred

Date: 03/05/21 13:57
Re: F-Unit Friday - Supercontinental Over CP's Carleton Place Sub
Author: refarkas

Well=crafted scene.
Bob

Date: 03/05/21 14:32
Author: King_Coal

Nice memory. Anything at all use this track currently?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/21 14:35 by King_Coal.

Date: 03/05/21 15:10
Author: krm152

An extra nice action scene.
Thanks for the posting.
ALLEN

Date: 03/05/21 18:48
Author: moonliter

Great photo once again Fred.  At this time No.2 would have been still a CN train but under the new branding VIACN.  It was due in at Ottawa at 07:15 so you are right about the "Super's" tardiness.  

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 03/05/21 19:07
Author: moonliter

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice memory. Anything at all use this track
> currently?

Yes, one train every Wednesday up to Arnprior and return.  The bridge in Fred's photo has been removed and replaced with earth fill.  Fred's photo was taken at Bell's Jct mile 11.6 Beachburg sub, my photo was taken at mile 13.58.  At mile 14.4 was another junction called Nepean.  There are no tracks left of the Beachburg sub from this point westward however the are tracks also heading west down the former Renfrew sub to Arnprior, ON.  CN No.589 is heading to switch the Nylene plant in Arnprior.  

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 03/05/21 19:37
Author: feclark

As always, an invaluable contribution, Gerry. CN had rebranded passenger service as VIA CN by the time I started shooting seriously in 1976, so a pure CN consist was not common for me. Also nice to see a freight on these tracks. Given that I was usually footbound and working west from Bells Junction, I didn't always make it out on the Beachburg, but I did make it to Nepean Junction a few times, and a couple of times as far as Strathearn, another mile or two past that. I guess more pulling and scanning projects. Sigh. When I returned to Ottawa, 1984-1991, I remember the earth fill, but not complete, and the bridge still in place.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds