Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Canadian Railroads > WATCO Buying Wisconsin, Michigan, & Ontario Lines from CN

Date: 03/30/21 08:54
WATCO Buying Wisconsin, Michigan, & Ontario Lines from CN
Author: akpsteam

CN and Watco Cos. LLC announced today they've reached an agreement for the sale of non-core lines and assets on the Soo subdivision in Ontario, and about 650 miles of branch lines of Wisconsin Central Ltd. in Wisconsin and Michigan.The agreement marks the conclusion of a sale process that CN announced and launched in July 2020, CN and Watco officials said in a press release. Financial terms were not disclosed.On the Soo subdivision, the sale involves about 250 miles of track between Sault Ste. Marie and Oba, Ontario. Watco will continue freight operations as well as operate the Agawa Canyon Train Tour. Watco officials have signed a memorandum of understanding with the Missanabie Cree First Nation regarding partnership opportunities for the Algoma Central Railway.

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/m_a/news/CN-Watco-agree-on-sale-of-rail-lines-in-Ontario-Wisconsin-and-Michigan--63083

Date: 03/30/21 09:23
Re: WATCO Buying Wisconsin, Michigan, & Ontario Lines from CN
Author: stanhunter

Sounds like the Algoma Central between Oba (conection with the CN) and Hearst is likely to be abandoned.

Date: 03/30/21 11:05
Author: gmd1

Where does it say that? The Oba to Hearst segment is actually the busiest today, acting as CN’s connection to Ontario Northland for traffic routing to/from Western Canada and the central US. If anything, I suspect CN will continue to operate this segment post sale, or potentially look to sell it to Ontario Northland future state. I highly doubt it will be abandoned.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/30/21 11:36
Author: Shortline614

CN is keeping the segment from Oba to Hearst. The rest of the former AC is out of service. I wouldn't expect abandonment, since there are plans to being mining for the massive chromite deposits in Northern Ontario. I would not be suprised if Watco tries to develop this traffic.

Date: 03/30/21 18:41
Author: DJ-12

Shortline614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CN is keeping the segment from Oba to Hearst. The
> rest of the former AC is out of service. I
> wouldn't expect abandonment, since there are plans
> to being mining for the massive chromite deposits
> in Northern Ontario. I would not be suprised if
> Watco tries to develop this traffic.

So the AC from the Soo to Oba presently sees no traffic? How long has that been the case?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/31/21 17:38
Author: renf

I am pleased to read that Bill Gates is probably not going to abandon the Oba to Hearst component of the former Algoma Central.
The last time I was in Hearst,the paper mill there was turning out a great deal of tonnage.   Will the passenger service from the
Sault to Hearst ever be reestablished?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds