Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Canadian Railroads > Prescott, Ontario wreck

Date: 09/11/21 14:59
Prescott, Ontario wreck
Author: irhoghead

What ever came of the investigation of that collision on the CN back on September 2? Any details of what happened?

Date: 09/11/21 15:05
Re: Prescott, Ontario wreck
Author: Ray_Murphy

Not even listed as "started" at the TSB website.

Ray

Date: 09/11/21 17:37
Author: 4489

irhoghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What ever came of the investigation of that
> collision on the CN back on September 2? Any
> details of what happened?

Good grief give them some time!

Date: 09/12/21 08:11
Author: eminence_grise

However, the TSB has not released the public report into the runaway east of Field BC over three years ago, in which three crewmembers died.

Here in Canada, we have the concept of timely justice which the Transportation Safety Board seems to be avoiding.

I worked for the same railway that had the runaway and was working when other "uncontrolled movements" took place. One thing our instructors stressed was the educational aspect of investigations into previous incidents. Some where equally as complex as the more recent incident, but certain people in the TSB and the railway took time to educate the operating employees so that the same type of incident didn't happen again.

"When the cats away, the mice will play", the employees are coming up with their own theories about the runaway and the reason the TSB is not reporting in a timely fashion.
The rumour is that a senior manager told to train crew involved not to secure the train that ran away, and that he/she is beyond culpability because he/she is closely related to the railway executive .

Date: 09/12/21 08:22

Good grief! I am not looking for an official 300 page report from the TSB. I am looking for what one can find out from the guys at the local roundhouse. One of those trains wasn't where it was supposed to be. That point should have been readily known fairly soon, but nothing has been posted that I have seen.

Date: 09/13/21 17:11
Author: cn6218

Here is a compilation of local news reports, and some photos and an "almost-eye-witness" account of the accident:

https://churcher.crcml.org/circle/Wreck%20Details/2021Prescott.html

None of it is official, so take it all with a grain of salt, but it does explain the layout of the tracks.

GTD

Date: 09/14/21 07:17

Thank you for that very detailed summary.

Date: 09/14/21 11:53
Author: hoggerdoug

From elsewhere  the RTC is being "investigated" for the track authority issued. From what I understand the trains crews are not being investigated, and in fact certain radio rules were applied properly and the moving train involved was able to reduce speed prior to the collision account of what was heard on the radio.
Doug

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds