Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Canadian Railroads > My CPR Slides 56

Date: 10/11/21 07:35
My CPR Slides 56
Author: CNStratford

June 25 1975-Crowsnest Pass BC-These pictures almost look like a model railroad.

Date: 10/11/21 12:34
Re: My CPR Slides 56
Author: briancdn

Great photos! That looks like an MLW S-11 in the last photo, I never realised that those units worked out west.
Brian N.

Date: 10/11/21 15:26
Author: eminence_grise

Crowsnest is right on the Continental Divide, and marks the boundary between Alberta and BC. It is where Lethbridge AB crews change with Cranbrook BC crews.

The empty hopper cars in the foreground are likely heading to Coleman AB, to be loaded with coal destined for export from Port Moody BC. This was the first "unit train" that CP operated from the mines in the Rockies and ports on the BC Coast. Coleman closed in the 1980's. I'm speculating the SD40-2's and caboose are from this train which is awaiting a Lethbridge crew. The mine had a rare ex-CP CLC HS-2 diesel hydraulic switcher which by the late 1970's was up on blocks, and I'm speculating the MLW switcher was being used to assemble trains together at the mine.

There is a work train in the yard, with some interesting two bay hopper cars.

The GP9 on the turntable track is probably the power for the Michel switcher, which will service the mine and coking plant a few miles west in BC. 

The row of buildings across the yard are all CP, dwellings supplied for employees who work on the shop track and on the tracks.  The hotel "Summit Inn" is on the far left .

Date: 10/12/21 22:31
Author: feclark

briancdn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos! That looks like an MLW S-11 in the
> last photo, I never realised that those units
> worked out west.
> Brian N.

I shot 6621 at Alyth in April 1982, and it was one of a clutch of MLW switchers that I assumed were being withdrawn from western service to head east. I have a slide of 6619 from another photographer, taken in Saskatoon in November 1986. I also have an idea that one of the S-11s, maybe the 6621, spent time in Victoria. Not sure.
Fred

Date: 10/12/21 22:31
Author: feclark

Really nice shots!
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds