Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP’s Every Child Matters Loco

Date: 10/22/21 02:00
CP’s Every Child Matters Loco
Author: cp1400

Canadian Pacific Railway unveiled a bright orange locomotive on Sept 29 to recognize Canada’s new annual national holiday on Sept 30, National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/campaigns/national-day-truth-reconciliation.html

CP 8757 was quickly put in service Sept 30 in Calgary, initially on cross Canada priority trains 101 and 100 between Vancouver and Toronto.
The idea of an orange locomotive came from a 13 year old indigenous boy who wrote a letter to CP asking if they would commemorate Sept 30 by painting a locomotive orange.

https://www.cpr.ca/en/community/every-child-matters-locomotive

Making two trips into and out of Vancouver afforded me an opportunity to catch this unique and striking locomotive in action through some of the best scenery in Canada. All pictures were taken Oct 02, 2021 except as noted.

1. Making its first westbound run in its new striking orange paint scheme CP 8757 rounds the corner at Hammond BC only a couple of miles from its Vancouver destination with train 101 October 01, 2021

2. Eastbound a day later CP 8757 emerges from the first tunnel at Yale BC on the point of train 100 to Toronto.

3. Crossing Spuzzum Creek in the Fraser River Canyon.

cp1400

Date: 10/22/21 02:02
Re: CP’s Every Child Matters Loco

4. Crossing the Fraser River at Cisco during its second eastbound run with train 100 on October 11.

5. Passing through the area of the White Canyon of the Thompson River a few miles east of the town of Lytton that was destroyed by wildfires on June 30 of this year. The fires continued to blow up the Thompson Canyon and destroyed much of the forest all the way to Spence’s Bridge.

6. Crossing the Nicomen River Bridge at the east end of the former Thompson siding. Oct 11

cp1400

Date: 10/22/21 02:05

7. Deep in the Thompson River Canyon between Thompson and Drynoch. Oct 11

8. Departing Spence’s Bridge. Oct 11

9. Nearing Toketic siding east of Spence’s Bridge.

cp1400

Date: 10/22/21 02:07

10. On the approach to Ashcroft with CN track across the river.

11. At the west switch at Savona.

12. Easing down Notch Hill at Tappen.

I hope everyone enjoys this look at the newest addition to CP’s historic and commemorate locomotive fleet.

cp1400

Date: 10/22/21 05:12
Author: ghCBNS

Thanks for posting!

From the Holiday Train to those specially painted locomotives honouring Veterans and CP's policy of pausing trains at 11am on Remembrance Day.......and now this locomotive recognizing the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.......Canadian Pacific is one Class Act!!

Date: 10/22/21 07:43
Author: perklocal

Great chase ! Shot #5 showing the scorched trees is a bit sobering. I agree with the comment about this being some of the best scenery in Canada. Nicely Done !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/21 07:49 by perklocal.

Date: 10/22/21 22:51
Author: feclark

Well done, and some new perspectives in this area.
Fred

Date: 10/23/21 07:43
Author: bmarti7

Thanks so much for posting and congrats on the IOTD! Most of us in the States wouldn't have known about this "Every Child Matters" without this posting. It is very gratifying to me, and I'm sure to many on TO, that a big corporation would affirm that every child matters whether born or unborn. Thanks again!

Bismarck Bill

Date: 10/23/21 09:55
Author: TCnR

Wow, tremendous chase, great locations and explanations on the cause.
Canada is lot more complex than I had understood it to be. I enjoyed my travels in the past but have a much better clue as to what's going on through posts like this.
t4p.

Date: 10/23/21 10:20
Author: texchief1

Great shots and a good chase!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 10/23/21 10:24
Author: jgilmore

Truly fantastic series of photos, and a great PR stunt by CP. Too bad not every employee matters...

JG

Date: 10/23/21 12:20
Author: phthithu

Spectacular set. 

Date: 10/23/21 14:06
Author: myoungwisc

bmarti7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks so much for posting and congrats on the
> IOTD! Most of us in the States wouldn't have known
> about this "Every Child Matters" without this
> posting. It is very gratifying to me, and I'm sure
> to many on TO, that a big corporation would affirm
> that every child matters whether born or unborn.
> Thanks again!
>
> Bismarck Bill

Bill - I too was glad to see that Canada is acknowledging its less than stellar past with regard to the treatment of indigenous people, our country could certainly benefit from a collective acceptance of our history as well! Believe it or not, this topic is directly related to the development of American railroads.

However, I didn't see anything in the press release regarding "unborn" children...

"CP’s orange locomotive was commissioned onto the network on Orange Shirt Day and the first official National Day for Truth and Reconciliation in Canada.The very nature and purpose of Orange Shirt Day, and National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, are to create an opportunity for Canadians to learn about and reflect on a dark chapter in the country's history and to commemorate the victims and honour the survivors, their families and their communities, as called for by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Indigenous leaders."

https://www.cpr.ca/en/community/every-child-matters-locomotive

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/21 14:07 by myoungwisc.

Date: 10/23/21 15:07
Author: ns1000

Great pics!!  It looks like you had a fun time....:<)......??!!

Date: 10/23/21 18:11
Author: RRBMail

Oh for a plain vanilla wedge shot so one can see the loco's details. 

Date: 10/24/21 13:31
Author: jbohdan2

Tremendous series of shots.  Every one is a winner.  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 10/27/21 19:53
Author: railsmith

RRBMail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh for a plain vanilla wedge shot so one can see
> the loco's details. 

This has already had more than 1,000 views: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,5334871

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0901 seconds