Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Canadian Railroads > Proof of vaccination needed to enter New Brunswick & Nova Scotia

Date: 11/15/21 14:41
Proof of vaccination needed to enter New Brunswick & Nova Scotia
Author: DrawingroomA

A posting on a Facebook group advised about recent requirements to provide proof of COVID vaccination in advance for both provinces. The unvaccinated will have to self-quarantine. New Brunswick says the application must be made even for people passing through the province.

Has anyone taken the Ocean lately? If so, could you advise if officials board the train at the two borders and demand to see papers or does VIA check them when boarding as they do with vaccine certificates? VIA's Website is of no help in providing any information about this requirement and I can't reach an agent so any personal experience is appreciated..

Date: 11/15/21 15:10
Re: Proof of vaccination needed to enter New Brunswick & Nova Sco
Author: cn6218

I'm pretty sure federal regulations require you to be "fully"* vaccinated before boarding a train or plane these days.

I have a pdf on my phone from the NB Dept. of Health called an "NB Pass" that I can show when I cross the border.  I filled out an on-line form, and sent them my proof of vaccination, and they sent the pass back to me within 5 minutes.  It just has a registration number.  I haven't actually used it yet because they had just imposed these regulations when I came back from Ontario to Nova Scotia in late September and didn't have the border checkpoints set up yet.

If you want to eat in a restaurant though, you'll need the proof of vaccination.  Quebec (surprisingly!) was first on board with this, followed by Ontario, NS and NB.  During the recent NS election the PCs said they wouldn't impose vaccine passports, but almost as soon as they won the election, they signed on with the federal program.

GTD

*  "Fully" vaccinated can be a number of different things:  Two shots of Pfizer, Moderna and/or AZ.  Or if you got a J&J shot in the US (it wasn't offered here) that's good too.  Sputnik or SinoVax, you're out of luck.

Date: 11/15/21 15:16
Author: ghCBNS

It a very simple process on the App. Basically looking for contact info and where staying in the province....and just upload your vaccine info right into the app. Easy peasy!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/15/21 15:24

And does someone come aboard the train when it crosses the border? I don't know but just have your approval ready on the app and you're all set! It takes no time at all to complete.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/15/21 15:35

Thanks for the replies. None of the four of us has a smart-phone but getting paper versions was easy. N.S. sent e-mails immediately but N.B. says we must wait for approval. We are fully vaccinated and have proof from Ontario. I was just curious if we will be inspected on the train at each border or if VIA can make it easy by providing officials with a manifest showing that all passengers are vaccinated.

As a point of interest, some friends and I have been to several restaurants in both Ontario and British Columbia and seen that some people have had problems with the QR code on their apps. There have also been delays for people boarding in Toronto and Vancouver. Our low-tech papers have never been a problem. All the information contained in the QR codes is also printed in full on the paper certificates.

Date: 11/15/21 16:42
Author: joemvcnj

Can a PC be used with a URL to enter infor, rather than a Smartphone app?

I suppose CDC vax cards mean nothing in Canada ?

Posted from Android

Date: 11/15/21 17:18

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can a PC be used with a URL to enter infor, rather
> than a Smartphone app?
>
> I suppose CDC vax cards mean nothing in Canada ?
>
> Posted from Android

Sure you can use a PC. See post just above this. You get an email

Lots of Americans have come to Canada since the border reopened in August and I imagine what they have is a CDC vaccine Certificate. But why not just go online and check the Arrive Canada site.

Date: 11/16/21 06:23

I created an account for when I need it. It lists Cantic as a rail port of entry. I don't know if that would work for the Adirondack when it starts running. I thought that would be LaColle. 

Date: 11/16/21 14:43
Author: P

cn6218 Wrote:
>
>
> *  "Fully" vaccinated can be a number of
> different things:  Two shots of Pfizer, Moderna
> and/or AZ.  Or if you got a J&J shot in the US
> (it wasn't offered here) that's good too. 
> Sputnik or SinoVax, you're out of luck.

What if you have natural immunity due to having had, and recovered from the virus, as 10s of millions of people have done?

Posted from Android

Date: 11/16/21 15:01

P Wrote:
> cn6218 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> >
> > *  "Fully" vaccinated can be a number of
> > different things:  Two shots of Pfizer,
> Moderna
> > and/or AZ.  Or if you got a J&J shot in the US
> > (it wasn't offered here) that's good too. 
> > Sputnik or SinoVax, you're out of luck.
>
> What if you have natural immunity due to having
> had, and recovered from the virus, as 10s of
> millions of people have done?
>
> Posted from Android

Don't think the Arrive Canada or Safe Check-in NS App has that category :)

Date: 11/16/21 16:08

P Wrote:

You may not have natural immunity in such circumstances, and it is not a valid excuse in any case
  • More than a third of COVID-19 infections result in zero protective antibodies
  • Natural immunity fades faster than vaccine immunity
  • Natural immunity alone is less than half as effective than natural immunity plus vaccination

https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/covid-19-studies-natural-immunity-versus-vaccination

Date: 11/16/21 17:30
Author: PHall

P Wrote:
> cn6218 Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >
> > *  "Fully" vaccinated can be a number of
> > different things:  Two shots of Pfizer,
> Moderna
> > and/or AZ.  Or if you got a J&J shot in the US
> > (it wasn't offered here) that's good too. 
> > Sputnik or SinoVax, you're out of luck.
>
>
> Posted from Android

You're still not going to Canada. 

Date: 11/16/21 18:22
Author: DavidP

ghCBNS Wrote:
> And does someone come aboard the train when it
> crosses the border? I don't know but just have
> your approval ready on the app and you're all set!
> It takes no time at all to complete.
>
Should be a non-issue as VIA is requiring passengers over twelve be vaccinated.

Dave

Date: 11/17/21 03:28

I suppose the bus operators like Orleans and Intercar require vaccines as well to board or buy a ticket ? 

Date: 11/17/21 04:03

DavidP Wrote:
> ghCBNS Wrote:
> -----
> > And does someone come aboard the train when it
> > crosses the border? I don't know but just have
> > your approval ready on the app and you're all
> set!
> > It takes no time at all to complete.
> >
> Should be a non-issue as VIA is requiring
> passengers over twelve be vaccinated.

Yes....just like the airlines. 

BUT.....

When your flight arrives at the Halifax Airport there's another step: Provincial Officials also check your 'Safe Check-In Nova Scotia' App (or printed email) It's a very simple process to complete so just have it ready no matter where it might be checked.

https://travel-declaration.novascotia.ca/en/Declaration/Introduction

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/travel.html#howtoregister

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/21 04:11 by ghCBNS.

Date: 11/17/21 06:59
Author: mkancle

I drove up through Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia by car in late September/early October. My CDC card (without a QR code) was good enough for any restaurant I wanted to enter.  I had to fill out an online form to enter New Brunswick but nobody ever e-mailed me back and there was no checkpoint on the Trans-Canada highway at the Quebec/New Brunswick provincial border. 
There was a highway checkpoint set up in Nova Scotia. As a U.S. Citizen all I had to do was show the ArriveCanada paperwork that I had to fill out to originally cross the Canadian border. As always everybody was very nice up there and I enjoyed my trip immensely! 

Date: 11/17/21 09:07

DavidP Wrote:
> ghCBNS Wrote:
> -----
> > And does someone come aboard the train when it
> > crosses the border? I don't know but just have
> > your approval ready on the app and you're all
> set!
> > It takes no time at all to complete.
> >
> Should be a non-issue as VIA is requiring
> passengers over twelve be vaccinated.
>
> Dave

It is an issue. VIA is requiring passengers to be fully vaccinated because that is the federal rule. The two provinces I mentioned have additional rules requiring what is essentially a permit to enter. Obviously everyone arriving by air or rail would have proof of vaccination, but if they have not completed the application in advance there could be a delay. Perhaps those people would have to fill out an application at the border, but it should be easy.

I wonder how many people know about this. Of the four in my group, three have never heard of it until I sent links to the regulations. Shortly before every trip VIA sends out an important notice. It reminds passengers about the rule for wearing masks and for having proof of vaccination. Maybe there will be some information about the border crossings for N.B. and N.S. Those travelling by car might also have delays at the border. I suspect a higher percentage of motorists than air or rail passengers don't know about this.  Air Canada advises passengers to check entry requirements although they don't give any specific advice.

Date: 11/18/21 09:14

In answer to my enquiry as to whether provincial officials will be boarding the train to check papers this reply from VIA was received this morning.

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

At this time they are not but it is a possibility that they could. VIA Rail is only checking for Photo ID along with your proof of vaccine .  Just make sure to have your information available just in case it is required.

Have a nice trip!

Thank you for contacting VIA Rail Canada. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3566 seconds