Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Rail shuts down railroad, workers strike

Date: 03/20/22 03:30
CP Rail shuts down railroad, workers strike
Author: JPB

"Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) halted operations and locked out workers over a labor dispute early on Sunday, with each side blaming the other for a halt that will likely disrupt shipment of key commodities at a time of soaring prices.

We are very disappointed with this turn of events," said Teamsters Canada Rail Conference spokesperson Dave Fulton. The union said in a statement that it had begun to strike across the country in the dispute that it says affects 3,000 engineers, conductors and yard workers.
Minister of Labour Seamus O'Regan Jr said CP and Teamsters were still at the table with federal mediators."We are monitoring the situation closely and expect the parties to keep working until they reach an agreement," he said in a tweet"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/2-canadas-cp-rail-shuts-065235777.html

Under appropriately murky foggy skies, the last train (100 to Toronto or 112 to St Luc?) into Revelstoke from Vancouver arrives just before 2100 PDT when CP called the lockout. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/22 04:16 by JPB.

Date: 03/20/22 04:41
Re: CP Rail shuts down railroad, workers strike
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Will Trudeau take away the engineers trains, etc, etc like he did the truck drivers?   :)

Date: 03/20/22 07:02
Author: RS11

I understand this to be a lockout, not a strike, unless the union began a strike at the same time.  Some of what I'm reading could be seen as that.  This is a lockout and picketing begins is how I see it.  Am I such old school that terms and language has changed when I wasn't looking?

Date: 03/20/22 07:14
Author: Lackawanna484

Date: 03/20/22 07:59
Author: DavidP

Is there any impact on CN in their joint operating territory with CP?  How about CP's US operations?

Dave

Date: 03/20/22 12:07
Author: DrawingroomA

According to the tsimobile site, the w/b Canadian is on its way north on the CPR directional running area. I wonder if CN trains, which also use their own crews, are also using this track.

Date: 03/20/22 13:20
Author: wirelessenabled

RS11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand this to be a lockout, not a strike,
> unless the union began a strike at the same time.
>  Some of what I'm reading could be seen as that.
>  This is a lockout and picketing begins is how I
> see it.  Am I such old school that terms and
> language has changed when I wasn't looking?

According to the Associated Press:

"On Saturday, the Teamsters said in a statement that the company had locked the workers out, but later issued another statement saying the workers were also on strike."

CP Rail claims the union walked off the job.

Hard to tell what the truth is now.

Date: 03/20/22 13:28
Author: CCMF

Directional running seems to be unaffected as CN trains are still going up the CP at Parry Sound to Sudbury.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 03/20/22 13:44
Author: telegraphboy

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to the tsimobile site, the w/b Canadian
> is on its way north on the CPR directional running
> area. I wonder if CN trains, which also use their
> own crews, are also using this track.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/20/22 14:37
Author: dxm332

Cp is likely trying to force a legislative end to the strike/lock out. Traditionally,legislation empowers a settlement panel which imposes a resolution. Historically these determinants favour the railways

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds