Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Canadian Railroads > Eastbound Canadian Routing

Date: 07/12/22 09:39
Eastbound Canadian Routing
Author: Blackfoot

Would anybody happen to know what route The Canadian uses eastbound from Vancouver?

Thanks,
Dwayne

Posted from Android

Date: 07/12/22 11:06
Re: Eastbound Canadian Routing
Author: viatrainrider

n does not Well, I think leaving Vancouver it goes south across the Fraser River bridge onto CN.  It is on a slow run until crossing the Fraser River again at Mission.  There the train joins the CP for the run to Kamloops where it will rejoin the CN for the run east.  However, maybe someone else can tell me if it is on CN leaving Central Pacific station to the first Fraser River bridge.

I have never understood why the train does not use CP departing Vancouver to Mission.  The CN routing seems like the long way around.  I was rerouted once using the CP all the way to Mission so such is possible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/22 11:11 by viatrainrider.

Date: 07/12/22 13:45
Author: exrtc

Eastbound routing: BNSF from Vancouver Jct. to the Fraser River bridge, CN to Page, crossing the river to Mission, then CP to Basque (just west of Ashcroft), then CN to Toronto.

Chris Rye

Date: 07/12/22 15:23
Author: railsmith

exrtc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eastbound routing: BNSF from Vancouver Jct. to the
> Fraser River bridge, CN to Page, crossing the
> river to Mission, then CP to Basque (just west of
> Ashcroft), then CN to Toronto.
>
> Chris Rye

Vancouver Junction to Fraser River bridge is now CN under long-term lease that started in 2006. It is dispatched, maintained and policed by CN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/22 15:29 by railsmith.

Date: 07/12/22 16:12
Author: railsmith

viatrainrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I have never understood why the train does not use
> CP departing Vancouver to Mission.  The CN
> routing seems like the long way around.  I was
> rerouted once using the CP all the way to Mission
> so such is possible.

The current routing avoids conflicts with West Coast Express commuter traffic between Mission and Port Coquitlam. The two co-existed from the start of WCE in 1995 until January 2000, with the start of the CN-CP directional running scheme through the Fraser and Thompson Canyons. Since then, the train takes the convoluted CN route out of Vancouver as far as Page for the river crossing to Mission, in effect running in the same manner as eastbound CN freight trains. Eastbound Rocky Mountaineer trains take the same routing.

WCE commuters were happy with this new arrangement, as they no longer had to contend with the sight of toilet discharge from the Canadian while it passed their stations (or in the case of Port Coquitlam, stopped there). 

With the change in January 2000, the stop at suburban Port Coquitlam was eliminated and no substitute was provided in the suburbs on the CN route.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/22 21:08 by railsmith.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds