Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Canadian Railroads > ViaRail Timetables

Date: 09/12/22 21:07
ViaRail Timetables
Author: whitefish

Are there any published timetables, schedules or .pdf files for ViaRail? More specifically, I'm looking for trains #1 and #2 and possible trips out of Toronto. I'm planning my first trip in Canada and having difficulty finding information.
Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Date: 09/13/22 05:06
Re: ViaRail Timetables
Author: DrawingroomA

For reasons VIA will not tell me, they have declined to put timetables on their site. Attached is the latest timetable for the Canadian which I have copied from the 2019 timetable.  From my experience there is little difference in the current operation. The departure of #1 from Toronto is now 09:55.  There is no train #3 and 4.

To be sure you can check the booking site (Reservia)  to check any pair of stops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/22 05:11 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 09/13/22 05:51
Author: NPRocky

Unless I'm mistaken, you can in effect get the current timetable on TransitDocs.  Just click on Number 1 or Number 2, click on the progress report you then see and a timetable will appear with current scheduled times plus actual times for that day.  

Date: 09/13/22 10:49
Author: exrtc

Using this might get you there.    https://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/train-schedules

Chris Rye

Date: 09/13/22 12:48

Thank you for posting this. I'm aware of it and tried to open it this morning.  It would not open for me, so I thought it might no longer be active. I used a different browser and now see it does open.

I had mentioned to VIA that the "accessible versions" are very difficult to print. The reply said they were not meant to be printed, but to be read by people with vision difficulties.

Date: 09/13/22 19:27
Author: viatrainrider

The last time I was in Winnipeg the ticket office was able to provide me with a photo copy of the Train 1 - 2 schedule.  I do not know where you are located but if you are in Toronto perhaps the ticket office could do the same for you.

Date: 09/14/22 04:51
Author: joemvcnj

"Accessible" should also mean people who do not have Smartphones and PC's, or do not wish to read everything on a screen the size of an index card, and that train operates much of the way where there is no internet. . 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/22 05:09 by joemvcnj.

Date: 09/15/22 04:52

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Accessible" should also mean people who do not
> have Smartphones and PC's, or do not wish to read
> everything on a screen the size of an index card,
> and that train operates much of the way where
> there is no internet. . 

Indeed.  When VIA first added these accessible timetables to their site they were full of errors. The corridor trains had many errors not only in departure times but in days of operation. For the Canadian they showed the train arriving at point "B" before it was to arrive at the previous station "A".  This type  of error showed for several stations. One example: for #2 at Hornepayne they showed it departing 23 hours after arrival. There were so many other errors it would appear to take seven days to do the entire route instead of four. Yes, this could inspire a joke, but I won't do it. i'm sure I was not the only one to contact VIA about this mess.

Because of the frequent changes being made in schedules I could understand why VIA stopped printing timetables during the pandemic. They continued putting a pdf version on their site for some time. Now that changes in service are rare and service has been restored to close to what it was pre-pandemic there is no excuse for not continuing to publish at least the pdf version.

Date: 09/15/22 07:26
Author: joemvcnj

Maybe just to show off - look how state of the art we are - we are not disosaurs like you old Baby Boomers with presbyopia..  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds