Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Canadian Railroads > One of those "that trip"

Date: 09/28/22 07:42
One of those "that trip"
Author: hoggerdoug

Late September 2005 on the BC Rail, I bid on to a "passenger excursion" or as we called it the Chairman's Train.  It was to be a four day excursion, day 1 North Vancouver to Whistler, day 2 Whistler to Prince George, day 3 Prince George to Exeter and day 4 Exeter to North Vancouver.
The train was a mixed bag of coaches, power car and 2 locomotives. Passengers included the CN Chairman of the Board of Directors, members of the board and their spouses, other dignitaries including the former USA Ambassador to Canada, high profile business people and a "mystery man".

day 1 did not start well, as the company officials tried to fudge with our "start time" for this assignment. That issue was resolved very quickly in our favour. Next issue, Superintendent of CN Vancouver asked me and my Conductor if we would share a hotel room, "a cost saving measure". NO Way, it's one thing to spend 12 or so hours together in a locomotive cab, we are not sleeping together. The collective agreement stipulates separate rooms... Issue resolved.  He wished us a nice trip, at which time I mentioned I had never been over the track between North Vancouver and Whistler, there was a great pause and he left.
We were introduced to the CN Train-master that would be riding with us. It was his first day on his new territory, BC Rail.... oh boy. Eventually we left North Vancouver heading to Whistler. We asked the Train-master where he was taking us to eat in Whistler.  No no, just go out to eat and submit the receipts to payroll. Oh no, this type of service includes "meals and accommodation". Well the Train-master dusted off his credit card and we had a great meal at The Keg in Whistler. After dinner, I asked the Train-master what arrangements for breakfast in the morning, account nothing open at 0500.  He said he would do something for our breakfast. Day 2, no breakfast arrangements had been made. "Guess we'll be stopping at Pemberton for breakfast" at which point he made a made dash in a company vehicle and got "breakfast to go" at Pemberton and delivered to the loco at Pemberton. another crisis resolved.

Day 2 was nice and sunny, a great day for a train ride. some of the guests on board were permitted to ride the locomotive cab for a few miles here and there. Most were pleasant and interested in the history of BC Rail as well as the scenery along the way. Poor judgment struck and somebody asked "how do we like working for CN".  Their cab ride ended shortly.  My Conductor and I ran out of time and were relieved north of Williams Lake and taxied to Prince George for the night.

three, southbound, I picked the spots for photos and no problem stopping for photo ops
ct1 at Deep Creek bridge on the BC Rail Prince George subdivision.
ct2 mile 206 Lillooet sub, bridge over "Fifty One Creek"
ct3 Fraser River bridge, mile or so north of Lillooet.

Date: 09/28/22 07:53
Re: One of those "that trip"

Day 3 went relatively smooth, just a long day running from Prince George to Exeter.  Day 4 went well, although another long day running from Exeter to North Vancouver. Finally on day 4, somebody thought it would be nice to send a cup of coffee and a cookie to the guys on the engine. Very thoughtful of them!! Upon arrival at North Vancouver the Train-Master asked how much time do we take on our end of trip "tie up". In this service we are allowed 30 minutes. He said take an extra 45 minutes and go eat. Okay, we submiited the extra time with explanation the Trainmaster authorized it. Next pay day, the 45 minutes was denied and our 30 minute tie up was cut to 15 minutes. Payroll department said the Trainmaster never authorized the extra time.

Just one those trips in the memory bank.....
ct4, in the siding at Seton, I was reprimanded for not haveing all the proper PPE on...
ct5 near mile 125 Squamish sub
ct6 on the bridge over the Cheakamus River

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/22 07:57 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 09/28/22 09:05
Author: kurtarmbruster

Great story and magnificent photos! Railroad managements--are they all the same? Sheesh!

Date: 09/28/22 10:35
Author: refarkas

Beautiful!
Bob

Date: 09/28/22 11:02
Author: LKeithR

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>...we submiited the extra time with explanation the Trainmaster authorized it. Next pay day,
>the 45 minutes was denied and our 30 minute tie up was cut to 15 minutes. Payroll
>department said the Trainmaster never authorized the extra time...

Yup, millions of dollars worth of equipment used on a "fun ride" for management and friends
and they still have to beat the crew out of a few minutes of time.  One can only assume that
the cost of the fuel used on that trip alone would have been many, many times the extra cost
of the crew.

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 09/28/22 18:27
Author: KD

Baptism by FIRE

Date: 09/28/22 23:42
Author: RogersPass

Hi Doug, Great trip and love the Photos . Please Keep them coming.
Cheers Briasn in New Zealand..

Date: 09/29/22 11:42
Author: zartok-35

Good story, Doug! Sounds like the likes of executive management.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/29/22 16:35
Author: DRGW5502

What did you get for breakfast?

Date: 09/29/22 21:22
Author: AndyBrown

First rate photos and commentary; great read!  

The siding at Seton; looks like it's been a while since a train was over that track!

Andy

Date: 09/30/22 05:57

I had greasy eggs, bacon, hash browns in a styrofoam box, balanced on my knees at track speed. Oh, also had "cold shoulder" from the Trainmaster...
Doug

DRGW5502 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What did you get for breakfast?

Date: 09/30/22 19:07
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds