Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Canadian Railroads > The late, great Canadian, Part 1: Getting to Toronto

Date: 11/17/22 13:43
The late, great Canadian, Part 1: Getting to Toronto
Author: march_hare

Dear spouse and I are getting ready for the return leg of our current trip: tomorrow's eastbound VIA Canadian out of Vancouver. Thought I'd share a few pics of how we got here. 

1). Amtrak's Maple Leaf arrives at Rensselaer. The train ran on time throughout its journey, with a reasonable load factor. (A few days from now, I suspect our eastbound trip home may be impacted by the lake effect snows forecast for the next several days...)

2). Light traffic on CSX until we hit Buffalo. At the time we left Utica here, we had only met two trains, one of them being an eastbound Amtrak. 

3). Arriving after dark, we had to wait til the morning to shoot the streetcars passing the front of the hotel. Alas, the travel market has recovered to the point where we couldn't afford to just walk across the street to the Royal York. It was about $200 a night above market for surrounding hotels. 

Date: 11/18/22 07:59
Re: The late, great Canadian, Part 1: Getting to Toronto
Author: ironmtn

Thanks for the lead-in story to your Canadian trip. And you are right on Toronto hotel prices, not only at the Royal York, but at others as well. Doing some trip planning lately I was bowled over by the prices, even well out into the suburbs. The market indeed has recovered. And then some.

Nice shot of the Maple Leaf, a train we don't get to see here on TO very often. I'm impressed with the six-car consist, and a nice view of that P42AC-DM in the Empire Service livery. We don't see those very often here on TO.

MC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/22 11:30 by ironmtn.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds