Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Canadian Railroads > Canadian Rail Ferries


Date: 11/20/22 11:36
Canadian Rail Ferries
Author: Magellan13

How many Canadian locations still need rail ferries as the primary means of interchanging rail cars?

I am aware of three locations in BC:
- Nanaimo BC (for the Vancouver Island rail network)
- Crofton BC
- Port Mellon BC

As well as one in the East:
- Baie-Comeau QC 

I know there are also rail ferry facilities at Pointe-Noire for the QNS&L/Arnaud etc, but as far as I am aware those railroads don't routinely interchange rail traffic with the rest of the N.American network.

Are there any others still operating?

Magellan

P.S. I didn't count the controversial Bayside Canadian Railway in New Brunswick, as it doesn't actually interchange rail cars.



Date: 11/20/22 11:58
Re: Canadian Rail Ferries
Author: LKeithR

What about the rail barge service from Prince Rupert  that transports cars to Alaska?  There is also
barge service from Seattle--which does bypass Canada--but the Prince Rupert route makes for a
much shorter marine voyage...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC



Date: 11/20/22 17:27
Re: Canadian Rail Ferries
Author: railsmith

LKeithR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about the rail barge service from Prince
> Rupert  that transports cars to Alaska?  There
> is also
> barge service from Seattle--which does bypass
> Canada--but the Prince Rupert route makes for a
> much shorter marine voyage...

If you mean the CN Aquatrain, it's over. Ended in April 2021.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatrain



Date: 11/20/22 18:19
Re: Canadian Rail Ferries
Author: PHall

And the rail barge from Seattle to Whittier does not make any stops enroute.



Date: 11/20/22 18:47
Re: Canadian Rail Ferries
Author: DavidP

Magellan13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> As well as one in the East:
> - Baie-Comeau QC 
>
> I know there are also rail ferry facilities at
> Pointe-Noire for the QNS&L/Arnaud etc, but as far
> as I am aware those railroads don't routinely
> interchange rail traffic with the rest of the
> N.American network.

I'm pretty sure you're correct that there's no interchange service with the Quebec ore lines.  However, the same vessel that serves Baie-Comeau is used for equipment moves for those line.

Are the Detroit River floats all gone now?

Dave
 



Date: 11/20/22 20:49
Re: Canadian Rail Ferries
Author: TCnR

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And the rail barge from Seattle to Whittier does
> not make any stops enroute.

fixed it.



Date: 11/20/22 21:19
Re: Canadian Rail Ferries
Author: arwye

Geez....that's too bad! I caught it to my surprise on May 10, 2018. The tug is the Nicole Foss.






Date: 11/21/22 21:33
Re: Canadian Rail Ferries
Author: jgilmore

DavidP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Are the Detroit River floats all gone now?

Believe they all ended in 1994...

JG



Date: 11/22/22 13:49
Re: Canadian Rail Ferries
Author: nhbatten

arwye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geez....that's too bad! I caught it to my surprise
> on May 10, 2018. The tug is the Nicole Foss.

I notice the single well car with a sea can in that cut of cars off to the right. Were/are single containers shipped to Alaska in this way?



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds