Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN running "Z" trains now?

Date: 01/11/23 22:00
CN running "Z" trains now?
Author: Soo715

I was taking a look at the CN train symbols on railroadfan.com wiki page this eve and noticed that several of the Q100 series intermodal trains are now listed as Z symbols. I can't recall ever seeing Z symbols used before on CN. Is this a thing now? Or just a series of typos?

Date: 01/12/23 03:56
Re: CN running "Z" trains now?
Author: railsmith

Soo715 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was taking a look at the CN train symbols on
> railroadfan.com wiki page this eve and noticed
> that several of the Q100 series intermodal trains
> are now listed as Z symbols. I can't recall ever
> seeing Z symbols used before on CN. Is this a
> thing now? Or just a series of typos?

Domestic intermodal. For example, Z11251 -- Vancouver Intermodal Terminal to Brampton Intermodal Terminal. The Z symbol has been in use for a couple of years.

Date: 01/12/23 08:35
Author: Soo715

Great, thanks!

Date: 01/12/23 09:44
Author: ORNHOO

In Canada they would be Zed trains, eh?

Date: 01/12/23 10:51
Author: newtonville150

ORNHOO Wrote:
> In Canada they would be Zed trains, eh?

In all of the English speaking world outside the U.S.

Date: 01/12/23 12:33
Author: wyeth

So curious, here in the states on the UP and BNSF, a "Z" train is the hottest trains (in theory that is....some "Z" trains are hotter than others, and some, well, not so hot).  Any ways, does CN run their "Z" trains as hotshots, or even any trains, or are they all, for the most part, treated the same?  Same question with the CP; is their, say #100 and #101 trains ran hot, or basically, are all trains pretty much equal out on the road?

Why I wonder, is that here in the states, UPS (United Parcel Service) commands all the major railroads' attention (and they pay the higher rates for that privilege), so the trains handling their traffic generally have priority over everything else - including through the terminals; often these trains run around other trains out on line.  Other truck/freight carriers use the railroads' "Z" type train service, but they don't seem to carry the weight that UPS does (so maybe they're "warm" instead of "hot").

Is it common for, say CP for example, to put most trains (including over takes) in the siding for an approaching #100 or #101 (examples here)?

Kind'a odd questions, but it has occurred to me that I don't recall seeing other trains over taken by intermodals when I've been up there (and I don't seem to read about it); however, my experiences could also be because most of my experience is in BC where terrain pretty much keeps most trains all equal speed wise.

Thanks.

Date: 01/12/23 17:38
Author: BigSkyBlue

wyeth Wrote:

> Why I wonder, is that here in the states, UPS
> (United Parcel Service) commands all the major
> railroads' attention (and they pay the higher
> rates for that privilege
), so the trains handling
> their traffic generally have priority over
> everything else 

You answered your own question:    $$$$$        BSB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0805 seconds