Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Budd Car and the Hydro Spur at Carleton University

Date: 05/18/23 15:36
CP Budd Car and the Hydro Spur at Carleton University
Author: feclark

On June 1, 1978, I took advantage of cloudy conditions to set set up for a different shot of CP #132, using RDC-1 9065. On Carleton University's campus, there was a spur without a switch. You can see it just ahead of the Budd car in Tuesday's post, at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,5679474. As best I understand it, this was for Ontario Hydro's use. Transformers or similar oversized equipment would be brought up from Walkley Yard on CP, then transloaded to trucks for the short drive to a small plant on the south side of Riverdale Ave., just east of Bank Street. I don't recall what the limitation was on trucking from some other point; maybe Billings Bridge wouldn't accommodate it. Normally there was no switch (to prevent vandalism? accidents?), but when needed, they'd install a switch to move the cargo into position.
I did photograph one occasion when they were offloading the lading, but I'll have to remember where I filed those shots.
You can see the parking garage, and the spiral ramp I used for the photo posted yesterday.
Fred

Date: 05/18/23 15:38
Re: CP Budd Car and the Hydro Spur at Carleton University
Author: refarkas

Fascinating location.
Bob

Date: 05/18/23 20:17
Re: CP Budd Car and the Hydro Spur at Carleton University
Author: krm152

Very nice photo.  Especially appreciate your explanation.
ALLEN  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds