Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Canadian Railroads > Bangor & Aroostook F3A 502

Date: 06/04/23 07:15
Bangor & Aroostook F3A 502
Author: Blackfoot

I caught this piece of history heading westbound on train 421 at Yonge Street in Toronto yesterday afternoon.  As far as I know CP acquired it when they purchased the CM&Q, and it's now heading to Calgary.  Unfortunately I wasn't in a good location when it passed by me as I was looking straight into the sun for the going away shot, but not much I could do about that.

Enjoy,
Dwayne

Date: 06/04/23 07:38
Re: Bangor & Aroostook F3A 502
Author: King_Coal

Interesting catch. Looks like a museum would be an appropriate destination. Not many F3's owned by Canadian RRs. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your Toronto area photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/23 07:38 by King_Coal.

Date: 06/04/23 07:47
Author: CPR_4000

A wonderful example of an early F unit, still in its as-delivered configuration except for the winterization hatch. Two of its BAR mates survive in Lackawanna paint at Steamtown, owned by the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society and Tri-State Chapter NRHS.

Date: 06/04/23 10:45
Author: Lackawanna484

Like it!

Unusual to see the brake line connection to the nose.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/04/23 11:00
Author: PHall

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting catch. Looks like a museum would be an
> appropriate destination. Not many F3's owned by
> Canadian RRs. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your
> Toronto area photos.

CN had them.

Date: 06/04/23 11:36
Author: refarkas

It may not have been a good location, but these are two first-rate shots of this historic move.
Bob

Date: 06/04/23 12:34
Author: PasadenaSub

Great catch and your into the sun photo turned out good.  Glad to see the unit heading to a museum.

Rich

Date: 06/04/23 13:58
Author: feclark

Nice catch, good exposure in 'impossible' lighting. Good to see a post from you again, too!
Fred

Date: 06/04/23 19:44
Author: wabash2800

Looks like they took out the marker light and pushed the hose through the hole...

Victor Baird

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Like it!
>
> Unusual to see the brake line connection to the
> nose.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 06/05/23 08:11
Author: djd83

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Looks like they took out the marker light and
> pushed the hose through the hole...
>
> Victor Baird

Reminds me of getting Covid tested lol

Date: 06/05/23 08:44
Author: Notch7

That really looks like a run-around hose poked out from the class light hole.  Maybe CP wanted to make it less noticeable or better prevent the runaround hose from falling or dragging  from the usual side strapped  attachment.  A run-around hose would be used because they couldn't get the F3's air brakes to work.  I can't ever recall coming out of an initial terminal towing a brakeless engine on a regular freight.  The US railroads I worked on would have moved a brakeless engine in a special or local only speed restricted movement OR not at all.  Of course in Canada, the FRA non-compliance statutes don't apply.  I hope they can get the 502 running again.  The F3's were great little historic engines.  I got to run a couple of Southern Railway F3's long ago before they got traded in on new power

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/23 08:50 by Notch7.

Date: 06/10/23 06:23
Author: fredstoltz

Where is this engine now? I have been watching for it in Sadkatchewan. No sign of it coming through.

Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.064 seconds