Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Canadian Railroads > Freight Car Friday - CAPX 18-axle Depressed Center Flat

Date: 09/22/23 10:56
Freight Car Friday - CAPX 18-axle Depressed Center Flat
Author: feclark

This photo was taken at CN's Taschereau Yard in Montreal, on July 9, 1989. I recall I was with Glenn Courtney, being chauffeured by Pierre Patenaude. CAPX 1001 was owned by Transalta Utilitiies at the time, obviously for carrying large transformers. I searched for it on the web this morning, to get a little more info, and found it very easily. Believe it or not, you can get an HO scale model of it. The link is here: https://www.con-sys.com/product_CAPX%201001%20SPEC%20FLAT.htm
The 18 axles consist of three conventional trucks, and a three-axle truck (Buckeye? the shadows obscure this), at each end of the car. The car's overall length is 146'2", platform length is a mere 35', light weight is 391,500 lbs, and the load limit is 792,000 lbs (data courtesy of the model site, which has some of its history; also found on a site for MAMX 1001). It's now in service for its third owner, Mammoet (the 'crane people').
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/23 10:59 by feclark.

Date: 09/23/23 00:17
Re: Freight Car Friday - CAPX 18-axle Depressed Center Flat
Author: refarkas

That's a titanic flatcar!
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds