Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Canadian Railroads > Freight Car Friday - Modular Approach to MOW Fuel, Water, Power

Date: 04/12/24 09:32
Freight Car Friday - Modular Approach to MOW Fuel, Water, Power
Author: feclark

Not technically a freight car, I suppose. This is CN 59559, a 52'6" flat built 9/58 and used in MOW/OCS service (the five-digit number and orange paint are characteristic). The modules on this explicit 'Module Car' are a generator unit CN 098-40MC, water tank module (2900 Imp gal capacity; rough surface implies some kind of insulation), and diesel fuel tank module (only 2720 Imp gal capacity; filled less, or is there some apparatus in the tank that takes up some space?). This car was in a string of MOW cars on a siding between the Edson Sub and Dunvegan Yard (former NAR yard) on April 15, 1999.
FredĀ 

Date: 04/20/24 15:37
Re: Freight Car Friday - Modular Approach to MOW Fuel, Water, Pow
Author: EricSP

I don't know the laws in Canada but in the US California has adopted NFPA 30 for storage of flammable and combustible liquids. It requires an overfill prevention valve that shuts off filling when the tank is no more than 95% full. There is also supposed to be an alarm that sounds when the tank is 90% full. Of course in the US I would guess that federal regulations govern fuel tanks on train cars so the requirement may be different if this car was in the US.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds