Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Canadian Railroads > 10 Years Ago in Industrial Cape Breton

Date: 04/19/24 17:37
10 Years Ago in Industrial Cape Breton
Author: cn6218

With the news that the Nova Scotia government was ending a "subsidy" to CBNS to maintain the line to Sydney a few weeks ago, Nova Scotia ends subsidy to Cape Breton rail line. (trainorders.com), I had a look back over my photographic coverage of that line.  I didn't catch the last run from Sydney (work must have got in the way), but I did make a few trips in 2014 that yielded some soon-to-be-gone scenes.  On August 6, GP15-1 1563 was working as train 301, the Sydney area local.  I first ran into them at Copol Industries in the Northside Industrial Park, and then followed them back to Sydney, getting the first shot here in North Sydney, close to the former CN station.  The corner of the station is just barely visible behind that light pole on the right.

After doing some more switching at a building supply dealer in Sydport (across the harbour from Sydney), 301 was passing the out of service siding at Jefferson.  In behind the trees are the towers of the local CBC radio transmitter, one of the few AM stations left on the network.

Finally 301 was on the home stretch to the Sydney yard and shop as the train rolled through Wentworth Park in downtown Sydney.  While there were only about three trains a week at this point, at one time all the VIA RDCs, coal and steel would have gone past here daily on the way west to the Maritimes and the rest of the country.

GTD

Date: 04/19/24 18:55
Re: 10 Years Ago in Industrial Cape Breton
Author: refarkas

Photo three on the bridge is my favorite.
Bob

Date: 04/20/24 07:57
Re: 10 Years Ago in Industrial Cape Breton
Author: texchief1

Nicew shots, Geoff!  Always look forward to your posts.

texchief1

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0318 seconds